cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Persistent player notification appears when app is closed

Phantomstormy
Underground

Hello,

I've had a similar problem a few weeks ago (Pandora unpausing when I didn't ask it to), but it didn't happen as often as others commented above. However, I think it stopped on its own but with with a new problem in its place. When I have Pandora closed, a notification saying, "Unknown by Unknown" pops up on my notification screen and I cannot get rid of it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and it still persists. How may I solve both of these problems should the both continue?

Thank you for your time.

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Pandora Update (02/22/24):

Hey everyone 👋

Thanks to all for bringing this to our attention and for providing information regarding your experiences.

Following a thorough review by our engineering team, we've determined this behavior is not exclusive to the Pandora app and is instead dictated by the Android operating system as of Android 13, part of an effort by Google to allow users to resume playback more easily from their most-used media services.

As always, we encourage you to keep an eye out for any app or OS updates as this is how an improved experience may be delivered at a future time.

While we understand this may be disappointing, we appreciate your outreach and patience. 

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Pandora AMP is at SXSW '24 this week. Come say hi!

View solution in original post

193 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @Phantomstormy! Thanks for posting and sorry for any trouble.

I created a new post for your message since it seems like you're experiencing the notification more recently.

I have a couple of troubleshooting steps, I'd like you to try. I've also enabled a trace on your account to help me investigate.

First, I'd like you to disable the Launch from car feature in settings.

To do that:

• Open Pandora.
  • Tap the Profile tab and then the Settings gear in the top right corner.
  • Select Advanced.
  • Under Bluetooth for devices remove the checkmark next to Launch from car.

Then, please try clearing the Pandora app data and cache using the following steps:

1. Open your Android Settings
  2. Tap Apps
  3. Scroll down to find Pandora
  4. Select Storage
  5. On the storage details page tap Clear Data.

Please note that you will be asked to log into your account after completing these steps.

Let me know if the notification continues to persist. Thanks!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

Phantomstormy
Underground

Hello,

I just recently tried these solutions. Here's what happened:

1) I did not have the Launch from Car on so I had turned it on and off as if to reset it.

2) I had 500+ mg in my storage from Pandora and I cleared the data.

3) A few minutes after I turned off the radio when I was finished with it, the Notification came back.

Do you have any other solutions I can try?

Thank you for your time.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Phantomstormy Sorry to hear those steps didn't help.

Can you please send a screenshot of the notification you are seeing as well?

(Please note you won't be able to attach images via email - you will need to open this Community link in a web browser in order to provide attachments)

Additionally, can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know what you can find out.

Braaainz
Opening Act

I have the same problem. I have done all the above steps. I have contacted Pandora developers and sent screen shot previously.

I just updated. I uninstalled and reinstalled(again) with clearing cache and data. Still having the issue

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for reporting and sorry for the continued trouble, @Braaainz.

It looks like you've already been in touch with a member of our support team via email. They've gone ahead and reported this on your behalf to our tech team. We appreciate your patience while this is being looked into. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

Phantomstormy
Underground

Hello,

I looked in both my phone and computer for the community tab, and it looks like I cannot find a place to attach an image to show a screenshot. Are you sure I could not email the screenshot and phone info? I feel more comfortable sending the phone info there, not in the public place.

Thank you for your time,

Phantomstormy

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Phantomstormy. 👋

No worries. You can also share the screenshot or more details via private message with a moderator. Our user support team is also happy to gather additional details via email here.

In the meantime, I've gone ahead and shared this information with our engineering team. 🎧

Allotrios
Local Performer

I'd like to chime in to say I'm experiencing the same problem. Android phone, launch from car already disabled, persistent notification from Pandora saying Unknown song by unknown artist over a black background. If I open Pandora to play music, the notification displays the correct information, and then it goes away once I close Pandora. Two or three seconds later, the notification comes back, with the Unknown message. 

0 Kudos

Phantomstormy
Underground

Hello,

I have emailed the Pandora Customer Service, and they referred me back to here. Do you think you can access the information I placed in the email? 

And to answer your other questions:

I usually am using cellular data. I can try using just Wifi to see if it fixes itself. The only pattern I am seeing is when the app is closed, the notification pops up and I'm unable to remove it without using Pandora again.

Thank you for your time,

Phantomstormy

0 Kudos

Kurtissmckee
Local Performer

Pull down notification bar, long press the annoying pop-up notification, then select remove. 

0 Kudos

Braaainz
Opening Act
How is your battery life after silencing the notification? I'm guessing
the app is still running, you're just not seeing the pop-up anymore
0 Kudos

Kurtissmckee
Local Performer

The app isn't running as it is. It's part of the background running apps. Unless you have developer settings enabled you can't stop pandora from using background resources. It does so when Bluetooth or wifi is enabled. This is done in order to quickly communicate with known wifi and Bluetooth accessories. That notification is part of background services to allow you to quickly open the app and immediately connect to accessories. Removing the notification does nothing to background services. As of yet, I've noticed no change in battery, with or without the notification.

0 Kudos

Phantomstormy
Underground

I just tried that, and it seems that I cannot remove it but minimize it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

0 Kudos

Phantomstormy
Underground

I agree with @Kurtissmckee. The battery isn't changing battery life as it would be without the notification. It's just annoying to see it every time on my notification screen.

0 Kudos

Braaainz
Opening Act

I tried the proposed solution of turning off that notification. It works,
but now i can't use Pandora via notifications anymore at all. So definitely
not a perfect solution

++

Ok, i just got a system notification pop-up that Pandora is still using battery. So silencing the notification absolutely does NOT fix the problem.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

0 Kudos

Kurtissmckee
Local Performer

I said earlier it only gets rid of the useless notification. You'll need to use developer settings to keep pandora from running in the background. 

0 Kudos

Lost-In-Sedona
Local Performer

Having the same problem now for several months, WiFi or Data.  I have to force close it every time this after I have swiped it out, it come back shows "Unknown" for artist - see attached screen shot

Phone - Moto e5 Play,Carrier - Consumer Cellular, Android 8.0.0.

Screenshot_20230616-073201.png

0 Kudos

Rebeccad
Local Performer

I've been having the same problem for weeks now and it is incredibly annoying. However, I have managed to find a temporary fix. Whenever you exit the Pandora app and the notification pops up, go into the app's settings and press the "force stop" button. It gets rid of the notification for me, but I have to do it every time I exit Pandora, hence it being only a temporary fix. At the very least it stops me from going crazy because of the constant notification. Hope this helps a little bit!

0 Kudos

Phantomstormy
Underground

Hello,

My screenshot looks exactly like Lost-In-Sedona's on the bottom. To cope until it gets fixed, I have the notification minimized. It's not big anymore and not a pop up on the top part of my screen where notification icons would be but it's still there in the notification screen. Has someone been able to recieve my android info from the email? As I had mentioned previously, they directed me back to here.

Thank you for your time,

Phantomstormy