cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: "Not Available in this Country" Error

GlassGolfer
Underground

The subject basically says it all. I like to keep my phone always connected to VPN (I use PIA), but I stay connected to US West region servers (I live in PNW).  I've tried selecting different VPN servers within the US, but I still get the "Pandora is not available in this country" error every time I launch Pandora. However I don't get this error when I disable VPN.

My google search leading up to this post makes me believe Pandora doesn't actively block VPNs ... maybe that has changed? Any help or suggestions you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Running Android 9
Using PIA's native app for VPN connection
'What's My IP' identifies my location correctly to the server I'm using

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

ErickPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@GlassGolfer @Ira @drb If you're using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) tunnel while you listen to Pandora, you will need the assistance of your VPN provider to adjust some DNS settings or to see if they can make exceptions for Pandora.

I read on Reddit that the provider PIA you mentioned using has responded to questions about this issue with instructions for adjusting DNS settings here and has also confirmed they are working to resolve the issue on their end here

I hope that helps you get back to listening.

Erick | Sr. Manager of Social & Communities

Let's exchange playlists and podcasts in the Music + Podcasts

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Ira
Underground

Similar here.

Situation is I'm using an iPhone and PIA.  I updated the OS yesterday and then checked app updates.   I saw Pandora updated, so I checked it to make sure it was working.  I got the VPN error.  Problem with this from my standpoint is (a) I was connecting via a US server, and (b) I've been using Pandora with PIA and connecting via a USA server and never had a problem until now.

I then checked from my WIN10 laptop, both the Pandora app an the Pandora web site.  Same issue with VPN.  Interesting, though, is I get a security error from the website, not an error concerning the VPN.  But when I turn off the VPN I can connect to the website.  To be clear, I have been using PIA VPN for a long time, and it worked with Pandora up until now so long as I was using a USA server.

I emailed support to ask about this.   I got a canned response that essentially repeated what the error messages tell me.  I responded with repeating that this is new, and all the support rep would say is Pandora does not support VPN and she cannot help me with that.

So, from where I'm looking, Pandora has changed something, whether accident or on purpose, and no longer accepts or permits a VPN connection period.

To me this is rediculous.  When I'm using Pandora on the mobile device it is because I'm mobile!  I'm not turing off VPN in mobile circumstances, regardless.

I love Pandora otherwise, but this is the sort of headache that makes people quit the service.

drb
Local Performer

I have been a paying pandora subscriber in the for 10-15 years. Always loved it. Might be time to drop my subscription. These days a vpn is not optional and I refuse to turn mine off just to access pandora. Very disappointed!!! Are you listening, customer support?

Moderator edit: format

ErickPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@GlassGolfer @Ira @drb If you're using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) tunnel while you listen to Pandora, you will need the assistance of your VPN provider to adjust some DNS settings or to see if they can make exceptions for Pandora.

I read on Reddit that the provider PIA you mentioned using has responded to questions about this issue with instructions for adjusting DNS settings here and has also confirmed they are working to resolve the issue on their end here

I hope that helps you get back to listening.

Erick | Sr. Manager of Social & Communities

Let's exchange playlists and podcasts in the Music + Podcasts

GlassGolfer
Underground

Thanks for your proposed solution.  I can confirm changing the VPN's DNS setting to use a free DNS (such as cloudflare - 1.1.1.1) does result in Pandora working again.  What doesn't make sense to me is why the service suddenly stopped working (or rather, began blocking) when using PIA's internal DNS servers.  I too have used Pandora for months while connected to PIA VPN, and it only recently stopped working.  Has Pandora begun blocking requests coming through PIA DNS servers?

I'm not sure changing the DNS setting is an acceptable solution, since, in reality, we're sacrificing security and privacy that comes with the VPN rather than fixing the issue (root causing what has suddenly changed that has resulted in the service failing).

Ira
Underground

Thanks @ErickPandora .   So I'm reminded (again) how little I know, and I humbly apologize for my anger at Pandora.

If I can eventually stream Pandora again when using a VPN connected to Pandora via a server in the USA, I will be pleased.  The way I read you and the information at the other site, the problem is indeed with PIA and I should be able to do what I was doing befor this issue.

I see the response and information from @GlassGolfer , and thanks for that confirmation.

For now I'm going to wait and see if PIA fixes the problem on its end.

Ira
Underground

Update:  PIA has apparently fixed things  The Pandora apps on iPhone and Win10 laptop began working again with PIA earlier in the week, as before, and I'm now also able to login to Pandora website and access this Community website.  I made no changes to PIA.  (I also have MACE enabled in PIA, which I learned I've always had enabled and didn't realize.)

I hope everyone else is back to normal.

GlassGolfer
Underground

Same here. I guess it's the nature of sharing a VPN server with thousands of other people ... who may or may not be trying to do less-than-virtuous things.  A bad egg can get a server added to blacklists and ruin the experience for everone else.  In this case, it seems PIA's DNS server (or the one they route through) was affected.  Glad to know it wasn't Pandora actively changing their policy on VPNs, and in the future we can work with the VPN provider if this sort of thing happens again.

A-Listener
Local Performer

I can't play Pandora on PIA on Windows or Android. Is started a few months ago.  Maybe summer 2019. I used the recommended solution of switching to a public DNS which defeats *part* if the purpose of a vpn. The other option is to run streaming on a different browser and tell the VPN to exempt that browser. Don't know why PIA and Pandora can't make it work with Pandora DNS servers. 

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @A-Listener.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

The VPN can reroute your internet connection which may cause the app to think you're out of the country even if you're in the U.S. 

Due to licensing restrictions, Pandora is only available for use inside the United States. Unfortunately, using a VPN while trying to stream Pandora is not currently supported.

As @ErickPandora mentioned, we would recommend checking if you can make an exception for Pandora in your VPN settings, or if you can safely disable any VPN connections while listening to Pandora. You may want to contact the support team of your VPN for further assistance with this.

++

In the meantime, you may be interested in this feature request for allowing VPN usage with Pandora. You can search for the title and click the ❤️icon to express your interest in this option. Feel free to leave a comment as well, if you'd like.

Thanks so much for posting on the community! 🎶

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

bruceinbr
Local Performer

I use multiple android devices. Just today one of them began acting strangelywhile using my Pandor app. Upon startup a message appeared telling me that I had no internet connection  (I DO). Further it said I should turn off my VPN. I have been using the same VPN on all my devices & have had no issues with any of them until now. My phone works as normal.  Pandora, on the tablet, switched to offline mode. This is annoying. What can be done?

mod edit: changed title for clarity

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @bruceinbr. 👋

Sorry for any trouble this has caused. 

VPN Usage with the Pandora App:

The VPN can reroute your internet connection which may cause the app to think you're out of the country even if you're in the U.S. Due to licensing restrictions, Pandora is only available for use inside of the United States. Unfortunately, using a VPN while trying to stream Pandora is not currently supported.

We would recommend checking if you can make an exception for Pandora in your VPN settings, or if you can safely disable any VPN connections while listening to Pandora. You may want to contact the support team of your VPN for further assistance with this.

++

VPN Feature Request:

In the meantime, you may be interested in this feature request for allowing VPN usage with Pandora. You can search for the title and click the ❤️icon to express your interest in this option. Feel free to leave a comment as well, if you'd like.

++

Offline Listening + WiFi Issues:

Offline listening should be turned on when you lose internet connection. 

Are you receiving any other error messages when this happens (other than the VPN one)?

In the meantime, I have a trace enabled on your Pandora account. I would recommend trying out the standard troubleshooting steps for the Pandora app on Android devices to see if this helps with the WiFi issues you're experiencing. You can also try disconnecting your Android device(s) from your WiFi connection and then reenabling it to refresh the connection.

Let me know if disabling the VPN and running through the steps help with the issue you're experiencing. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

bill14
Local Performer

message saying not playing in that country on my android cell

0 Kudos

bakubroo
Opening Act

sir i would really like to help but i need more info and what do you mean by country maybe its banned there i have no idea where you are and im not going to ask if your not comfortable about it also asking would be an invasion of privacy

bakubro

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @bakubroo. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble accessing Pandora.

Error Message + VPN Usage:

It sounds like you are using a VPN which is rerouting your internet connection. Unfortunately, using a VPN while trying to stream Pandora is not currently supported. We recommend checking if you can make an exception for Pandora in your VPN settings, or if you can safely disable any VPN connections while listening to Pandora. You may want to contact the support team of your VPN for further assistance.

++

Trouble Downloading the Pandora App from the Google Play Store:

If you're having trouble downloading the Pandora app on your Android device, you may need to check your country settings. 

In order to download Pandora, you'll need to make sure your billing address, payment method, and shipping address in the Google Play Store indicate that you are in the United States. You can find more information on how to manage those settings on their How to change your Google Play country help page.

If you have any trouble with these steps, you can also get in touch with the Google Play support team directly, and they should be able to help you.

Hope this helps! 🎧

bakubroo
Opening Act

oh im not having trouble its he person who needs help in from  tech division in the company i work at and i was trying to help

bakubro

adebnar
Local Performer

When connected to Google One VPN I'm getting an error "Not Available in this Country". If I disconnect it works fine.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@adebnar I moved your post over to this existing thread: Android: "Not Available in this Country" Error

Unfortunately, using a VPN while trying to stream Pandora is not currently supported.

We recommend checking if you can make an exception for Pandora in your VPN settings, or if you can safely disable any VPN connections while listening to Pandora. You may want to contact the support team of your VPN for further assistance.

Hope this helps explain.

0 Kudos