cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Start Issues - Assistant, Bluetooth, or Normal Start

Jsalinger
Local Performer

I would like to report consistently erratic behavior of the Pandora Android app. In particular, the App rarely, if ever starts and begins playing music in any of the following scenarios without repeatedly killing the app:

1. Using Google Assistant: "Hey Google, play some music", assistant responds and tries to start Pandora. Sometimes the app launches to a black screen, sometimes it does not launch at all, and very rarely it will begin to play music (1/10 times).

2. Automatic start when connected to car audio bluetooth (either via settings in Pandora app, or via other external programs set to start the music player when bluetooth is connected). In these cases the app usually never even appears to start. 

3. 2/5 times starting Pandora directly via app icon also fails to start music. Sometimes loads to a black screen.

I have removed and re-installed Pandora multiple times. 

I decided to do a closer examination of the LogCat logs for Pandora on my Android device, and the most suspect stack trace I see (only when the Pandora app is installed) is as follows:

2020-01-06 17:16:45.072 16249-16392/? W/SimpleExoPlayer: Player is accessed on the wrong thread. See https://google.github.io/ExoPlayer/faqs.html#what-do-player-is-accessed-on-the-wrong-thread-warnings...
java.lang.IllegalStateException
at com.google.android.exoplayer2.SimpleExoPlayer.d(SourceFile:1192)
at com.google.android.exoplayer2.SimpleExoPlayer.getPlayWhenReady(SourceFile:897)
at com.pandora.radio.player.y.isPlaying(SourceFile:346)
at com.pandora.playback.c$s.a(SourceFile:35)
at com.pandora.playback.c$s.test(SourceFile:20)
at io.reactivex.internal.operators.observable.au$a.onNext(SourceFile:46)
at io.reactivex.internal.operators.observable.cc$a.b(SourceFile:201)
at io.reactivex.internal.operators.observable.cc$a.run(SourceFile:255)
at io.reactivex.internal.schedulers.l.run(SourceFile:66)
at io.reactivex.internal.schedulers.l.call(SourceFile:57)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:301)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1167)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:641)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:919)

This error, or the short version appears every 3-5 seconds in my system logs. When Pandora is removed from the device, none of these errors appear in the log. 

2020-01-06 17:30:31.892 16717-16833/? W/SimpleExoPlayer: Player is accessed on the wrong thread. See https://google.github.io/ExoPlayer/faqs.html#what-do-player-is-accessed-on-the-wrong-thread-warnings...

I am running on a Pixel 3a, Pandora version 1912.1, OS version: 10, Build QQ1A.191205.011

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

Thanks for the follow up @DTM - we really appreciate the feedback. 👍

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

6 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Jsalinger. 👋

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this feedback. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble when you attempt to listen from your device.

Google Assistant Feedback 🔊:

Google is really interested in what's happening when your Google Assistant device doesn't understand your request. Could you request that content while using Google Assistant again?

If your device still fails to launch Pandora correctly, file feedback with Google by saying "OK Google, file feedback."

++

Pandora App on your Android 📱:

You should be able to start playback without it failing upon launching the app. I do see that you mention uninstalling / reinstalling the Pandora app from your device.

Have you tried clearing the cache?

If you haven't already, would you mind running through these steps?

The steps may help resolve the issue you're experiencing when launching the app.

++

Pandora in your Car 🚙 using Bluetooth:

Let's try re-pairing the connection between your car and the phone.

To remove the pairing, please go into the Bluetooth settings menu on your phone, find the appropriate connection, and select "Forget this device."

Once you've done so, refer to your car's manual for the steps to reconnect the car system to your phone. Using the Voice Commands for your unit (if available) is often the easiest way to do this.

*Use your mobile device only when conditions allow and as permitted by applicable law.

++

I’ve also requested our User Support team to start a trace on your account to help us better understand what’s happening. For this trace to be useful, we’ll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps.

I hope this helps! Let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

DTM
Underground

I can confirm essentially the same issue as Jsalinger. Using his/her item numbers:

1 - Happens sometimes (maybe 40% of the time) when using Google directly on my phone, but is much worse (90%) when going through Bluetooth in my car. Either Pandora doesn't open at all, or it opens to a blank blue screen. There is a drop-down chevron in the upper left that allows me to open the main screen and it works from there. But it doesn't start playing from the voice command. Oddly enough, when using Android Auto in my car, Pandora works 100% of the time.

2 - This is sporadic as to whether it starts or not. Maybe 50-50.

3 - I don't have this problem at all. It always starts from the app icon.

I've done all of the steps you've suggested except for the failure report--it usually happens while I'm driving, so I can't. But I'll do that when I can. There is no improvement after all of that.

But I really doubt if the problem is on Google's end. The same sort of voice commands work perfectly (>95%) with Spotify, Rocket Player, Poweramp and Podcast Addict. I have noticed that, when it does work, Pandora takes noticeably longer to load than the others. Don't know if that's significant.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @DTM. 👋

Thanks for reporting this.

Can you send over a bit more info about your device so that I can share this with our engineering team?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or 3G/4G when this is happening?

Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know.

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

DTM
Underground

Model: Samsung S7

Carrier: Verizon

Android version: 8.0.0

Build: R16NW.G930VVRUACSH1

Security patch: Sep 1, 2019

Pandora version: 2001.1 (Android-tuner 2001.1RC6)

This happens with both Wi-Fi and 3G/4G. As I indicated, it's much more common in the car when, of course, I'm not on Wi-Fi, but that's also when I'm using Bluetooth, so there are two situations: cellular data and Bluetooth (much worse), or Wi-Fi and operating the phone directly (not as bad). I'll try the other combinations and let you know what happens.

DTM
Underground

Shortly after my last post, there were updates to both Pandora and Google (that is, the Google Assistant) on my phone. Since then, it seems to be playing a bit better, but still not quite right. Pandora still sometimes fails to open via the car Bluetooth, but not as frequently. More often, it will open, but to the last station I was listening to, not the one I just requested. And some of my other apps are starting to do the same, but not as frequently as Pandora.

There does seem to be a correlation with whether or not the phone is on the lock screen, even though Smart Lock keeps it unlocked when the Bluetooth is connected. It seems far more likely to work correctly if I manually dismiss the lock screen before asking for the Pandora station.

All told, I'm not sure what's going on here. Will keep you posted if I find anything.

TannerPandora

Thanks for the follow up @DTM - we really appreciate the feedback. 👍

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport