cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opera Web Browser: Buffering Issues

knifepartylyrcs
Local Performer

I am able to get Pandora working on chrome and internet explorer, but whenever I try it on the Opera web browser it has a constant buffering problem. I don't have any ad-blockers enabled and this problem started happening a little over a week ago. I have tried looking at other community posts to see if there is a solution but I haven't found one that works.

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jllauver @knifepartylyrcs I'm very sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. I completely understand your frustration.

While we do not support the Opera browser, in the meantime, please try using one of our supported browsers for listening to Pandora, like Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Microsoft Edge. 

• You can find the minimum specifications to run Pandora on the web here.
  • Another alternative is to try out the Desktop app, if you're interested. 

Thanks so much for posting on the Pandora community! 🎶

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @knifepartylyrcs thanks for posting to community!

Unfortunately, we don't support the Opera browser.

We do support the following browsers for listening to Pandora: Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Internet Explorer.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

saburch
Local Performer

See the subject.  It's happening in Opera on a PC.  I'm on premium, although not for much longer if this keeps up.

0 Kudos

jstahliv
Local Performer

Is this new? as in within the past few days? I have listened to pandora on opera for years and now it's not working.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @jstahliv. 👋

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Unfortunately, this isn't a new update regarding Opera, but I'm happy to clarify.

Most modern computers will play Pandora without any modification, but at minimum, your set-up will need to meet the below minimum specifications:

Browsers:

• Internet Explorer 11
  • Safari 11
  • Latest Version of Chrome*
  • Latest Version of Firefox*
  • Edge*

*Auto-updating must be enabled

Hardware:

• Mac laptop: Intel Core Duo 1.5 GHz or faster CPU, 1+ GB of RAM, 128+ MB of VRAM
  • PC laptop: Intel Atom 1.6 GHz or faster CPU, 1+ GB of RAM, 128+ MB of VRAM
  • Mac desktop: PowerPC G5 1.8 GHz or faster CPU, 1+ GB of RAM, 128+ MB of VRAM
  • PC desktop: Intel Pentium 4 2.33 Ghz or faster CPU, 1+ GB of RAM, 128+ MB of VRAM, or AMD Athlon 64 2800 or faster CPU, 1+ GB of RAM, 128+ MB of VRAM

You'll also need consistent bandwidth of at least 150 kbps. If you upgrade to Pandora Plus or Pandora Premium and want to use high quality audio, we recommend at least 300 kbps.

Hope this info is helpful. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sorry for the continued trouble, @saburch.

Unfortunately, Opera is not a supported browser when using Pandora. I would recommend trying out one of the supported browsers. Please see my message about Pandora on web browsers here

Thanks so much for posting on the community! 🎧

0 Kudos

knifepartylyrcs
Local Performer

So if this isn't a new update with opera, then why is it that it stopped working just recently. I was able to use opera just fine and now it's not supported? But it's not a problem with Pandora? And I'm not going to install a new web browser just to listen to Pandora. If they don't fix this soon I'm just going to delete my account and move over to Spotify 

jllauver
Local Performer

I can't believe this, I've been using Opera for years without any problems, now as of yesterday just like that.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jllauver @knifepartylyrcs I'm very sorry for the trouble you're experiencing. I completely understand your frustration.

While we do not support the Opera browser, in the meantime, please try using one of our supported browsers for listening to Pandora, like Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Microsoft Edge. 

• You can find the minimum specifications to run Pandora on the web here.
  • Another alternative is to try out the Desktop app, if you're interested. 

Thanks so much for posting on the Pandora community! 🎶

0 Kudos

@AlyssaPandora  thank you for stating that "Auto-updating must be enabled for Edge browser. I forgot to state that. Take care and stay safe.                                                                                                                       

P.S I forgot to add that to a post from "Buffering problems with Chrome". 

mod edit: format

MOHLovesAlaska

Ossitto
Local Performer

I have been using Pandora premium in  opera s for several years now.

Just last weekend, I cleared out my browsing and cookies  for the first time in 2 years, and boom! the  buffering problem started.Moreover, songs keep skipping without playing a sound.

Please don't tell me it is an unsupported browser, at least try to figure out the problem!

connected99
Underground

Tanner:

When did Pandora stop supporting Opera browser?  I've been using Opera to listen to Pandora for the past year and only until recently (within the past week) have I experienced buffering problems.  Is this a recent change in policy?  If so, why?  Opera is an amazing browser and would most likely find another music streaming platform should Pandora decide to discontinue supporting the Opera platform.

connected99
Underground

I've been using Opera to listen to Pandora for the past year or so and only until recently (within the past week) have I experienced buffering problems. I also can't understand how or why Pandora they would stop supporing the Opera browser. What's really infuriating is that when I log in to Pandora from Opera, I can listen to the commercials but not the actual music! What's that about? If in fact, Pandora has stopped supporting Opera, why would subject you to commercials without the benefit of being able to access your playlists? That' messed up. I'm going to also seriously consider renewing my paid subscription.

I find Pandora's response to providing assistance with resolving the issueof getting Pandora to work with the Opera browser quite disappointing. Instead of offering a solution, they tell the customer (essentially all of us) that our opinions and choice of listening preference don't matter.

Seriously, that's no way to run a business. Or is Pandora an actual, business? More like they're still running it out of someone's garage. GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT, or maybe, they'll take their business elsewhere. It's not like Pandora's the only game in town.

blahblahblah100
Local Performer

Just cancelled my subscription 5+ year subscription.  I'm not even sure how long ago i signed up.  Might have been 10 years.  I will bookmark this thread.  If this ever gets fixed, i'd consider coming back to Pandora.

lckauth
Local Performer

I to just lost Pandora in my opera browser after years of perfect function.  The moderator says that Pandora doesn't support the opera browser, but it did! So if it now no longer supports Opera, WHEN did it stop and WHY? Try to do better then this automatic insufficient response.

Fuggindewsh
Local Performer

I just wanted to add that I too am very disappointed with these responses! I finally decided to pay for premium, but will be canceling that and finding another music streaming service! This response is unacceptable as I to have been using Opera for years listening to Pandora. Good job loosing long term customers!

jiggerjosh
Local Performer

Same problem!

islandhutch
Local Performer

So frustrating! I'm bidding Pandora farewell because here's what I've learned about Spotify: 

The web player is supported by the following web browsers:

kingdominsight
Local Performer

Hope this helps but,, since the people at Pandora are to Lazy to fix Opera comparability,, 

I just found out that an alternative streaming service called SpotFy does indeed work in Opera.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos

RF1
Local Performer

Oct. 2021 Same issue is true for TOR Browser which millions of users use for privacy. No one is going to give up their preferred browser just to listen to music. In case Pandora hasn't gotten the message yet, most folks DESPISE Google and Microsoft and therefore do not want any part of their spying , tracking browsers. No way will I ever change from TOR. I'd leave Pandora before I leave TOR. In any event, since TOR is built on Firefox it make absolutely no sense for Pandora to "support Firefox" but not support TOR... unless they just want to be a shill pushing spyware browsers for Google and Microsoft.

Silly me... I thought it was about the music !

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity