cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website and Desktop App Extremely Slow / Delayed

michelevit
Local Performer

Howdy feeling Pandora users. I hope everyone is staying safe and sane.

I'm a long time Pandora user and love how I can create a station based on a song or artist. I love how Pandora is able to shuffle these stations.

The phone app for Android is nice. It's quick to start up and play and toggling on and off shuffle mode is pretty quick. My complaint is with the web based music player on my desktop computer. 

When I use the web based Pandora website, things are rage inducing painfully slow. I have built a workbench computer in my garage using a powerful 16 gig i7 running windows 10. Every computer I have tried the Pandora website on is super **ahem** slow. I am trying to select stations to add or remove to the shuffle and there is a super long delay. I'm trying to use my workbench PC in the garage since it's hard wired to nice speakers and it's easier on my eyes than looking at my smart phone. Deleting stations also takes forever.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I even installed the Pandora app for windows thinking it would run and smooth as the phone app, but it **ahem** as much as the website. I also tried different browsers. I've tried different computers too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@CircusMonkey108one of the things that I have done to improve my Pandora music app for listening to music, I closed out un-necessary start-up items in the start up menu. I also closed out many programs that were loading in the background. For example, I have Dell, so for me I had shut down (SuperFetch program in my back ground) look to your manufacturer to see what programs you can close or shut down safely. I also had problems with my Google web browser, so I deleted it, and I now use the new and improved Microsoft Edge web browser, since doing all of these things, I have not had any issues playing music on my Pandora desktop app. You also may want to make sure your Wi-Fi is up to date, if you use Wi-Fi, I just up dated my Wi-Fi late last night. It does make a difference in your signal. Well I hope these improvements will make a difference for you. They have for me. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

View solution in original post

25 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @michelevit. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble listening. I understand how frustrating this must be during your listening sessions. Thank you for taking the time to report your experience.

Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening?

• What is the primary web browser you're using in order to listen to Pandora?
  • What happens when you launch Pandora? 
    • Does it lag for 5-10 seconds before starting a song after clicking on a station?
    • How long is the delay when you try to make changes to your stations or to shuffle?
    • Are any error messages popping up? If so, what exactly does it say?

++

In the meantime, I've enabled a trace on your Pandora account to gather more details to report to engineering, if needed. I'll need to you try listening again so the trace can capture what's happening.

I look forward to hearing back! 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

ksegal
Local Performer

Hello,

I think I am having this same trouble.  It just started happening in the past month.  Everything is really slow motion - almost instrumental.  I started doing "thumbs down" on songs thinking it was the song version but I really think it is the system somehow.  I am using Chrome.  No error messages.  Just really dragging out versions of every song.

Thanks! 

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @ksegal👋

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this as well.

I’ve enabled a trace on your Pandora account to help us better understand what’s happening. For this trace to be useful, we’ll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps.

Would you mind trying out these steps for your Chrome browser?

Let me know if this helps with your issue. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

CircusMonkey108
Local Performer

I am now having the same situation, many months later. Any tips?

Thank you for your work!

Warmly,

jm

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @CircusMonkey108. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. Could you tell me a bit more about how you're listening?

• Web browser? Which one?
  • Desktop App? 
  • MAC or Windows computer?

Let me know, and I can follow up with some troubleshooting steps. I look forward to hearing back! 🎧

@CircusMonkey108one of the things that I have done to improve my Pandora music app for listening to music, I closed out un-necessary start-up items in the start up menu. I also closed out many programs that were loading in the background. For example, I have Dell, so for me I had shut down (SuperFetch program in my back ground) look to your manufacturer to see what programs you can close or shut down safely. I also had problems with my Google web browser, so I deleted it, and I now use the new and improved Microsoft Edge web browser, since doing all of these things, I have not had any issues playing music on my Pandora desktop app. You also may want to make sure your Wi-Fi is up to date, if you use Wi-Fi, I just up dated my Wi-Fi late last night. It does make a difference in your signal. Well I hope these improvements will make a difference for you. They have for me. Take care and stay safe.  

MOHLovesAlaska

MLaff
Underground

I'm seeing the same thing with the desktop app on a super clean and fast win 10 PC. Delay when using play, pause, etc. Also slow to search. Sometimes delay when changing to next song on it's own (I'm not touching anything). 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

@MLaff Does the same thing occur on the web or only on the desktop app? 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

MLaff
Underground

Yes. It is slow to respond on Chrome as well. Noticeable delay for pause/play, long loading times, sometimes just stops playing. Slow graphics response as well. For example when I select play, if it's not a long click it will not play. And after it begins to play there is a delay before the play/pause graphic changes state. Like the whole thing is going through some process bottleneck somewhere. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for the follow up, @MLaff

Can you do me a favor and see if the same thing happens on another browser like Firefox or Edge.

Are you on Wi-Fi or Ethernet when this happens?

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

MLaff
Underground

Wired connection to DSL modem. AT&T service. No anomalies in modem logs. 

Tried it on Edge; www.pandora.com . At first Pandora would not load at all. Refresh and it loaded the splash screen. After awhile (minutes), content.  Once loaded it will not play. It will forward to next song which will also not play. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

@MLaff  Interesting. I've been receiving reports from other listeners having various connection issues on their devices and their ISP is with ATT too.

I'm going to create a report and send this over to our engineering team so they can take a closer look. 

Thanks for the help and your patience in the meantime. 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

MLaff
Underground

One other point if it matters for diagnosis, DNS is set to use Google 8.8.4.4. and 8.8.8.8 on this PC

0 Kudos

MLaff
Underground

And thank you!

Sn00py
Local Performer

I have noticed within the last month or so the pandora app is using more GPU resources. Also there is a noticeable mouse lag across my screens if the app is visible on my screen. The mouse lag goes away if I minimize the app.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Sn00py. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing this. Thanks so much for reporting. 

Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening?

• What kind of computer are you using?
  • Are you using a MAC or Windows computer?
  • Does this issue also occur when you're using a web browser? If so, which one?
  • Have any error messages popped up?

Let me know. 🎧

0 Kudos

Sn00py
Local Performer

Windows 10 Build: 20H2

Samsung 970 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD

Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB SSD

Nvidia founders GeForce RTX 3090 24GB

Intel Core i7-7800X X-Series Processor 6 Cores

EVGA X299 Dark, LGA 2066, Intel X299,

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

Have not tried it on a web browser. the app has quick pause/play options in the taskbar 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Sn00py Thanks so much for providing your device details. I've enabled a trace on your Pandora account to better understand what's happening, and in case we need to report this over to our engineering team. 

Let's try some troubleshooting steps to see if we can resolve the issue. 

First, try resetting the Pandora app from the Help menu (not to worry, we'll keep track of your profile and collection for you). Press Alt on your keyboard to bring up a menu options at the top of the page, then select Help and Reset App Data.

If you're still having issues, try uninstalling and reinstalling using the following steps:

1. Locate Pandora in your Start Menu, and right-click to reveal an additional menu. Select Uninstall from the dropdown menu. From there, select Pandora from the list and confirm by selecting Uninstall once more.
  2. Next, find our app in the Windows Store on your device. Search for Pandora in the upper right corner and click or tap Get to re-install.

Please note that downloading any application on your devices requires a Microsoft account and password, and it may be a different email address and password than those on your Pandora account.

Also, we do not support Pandora on unofficial OS releases, like preview or developer builds. We only support Pandora on configurations that we have fully tested, so as to ensure the application will work correctly and not cause any problems with functions of the device.

0 Kudos

Sn00py
Local Performer

okay did that. still seeing the mouse lag when the program is visible on the screen.

0 Kudos