cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking certain genre from station

Jh81
Local Performer

It seems like Pandora fundamentally cannot adjust my stations to give me the music I want. Normally it doesn't bother me, but this one was so specific it's really getting on my nerves. I have a meditation radio. It plays every morning throughout all speakers in the house. I just want one thing, no wooden flute music. I've been down voting wooden flute music for weeks and I just keep getting wooden flute music.

Are down votes not as effective as up votes? Or do you just accept that Pandora is going to give you whatever it wants regardless of how you vote? Are any other services better at tailoring to your tastes?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jh81 We don't currently have the option to filter out certain genres such as wooden flute music on Pandora stations.

You can vote for this existing feature request here.

In the meantime, if you continue to Thumb Down these tracks, you will not hear them again on the station you're listening to. As always, you should use your Thumb ratings freely to tell Pandora what you want and don't want to hear.

Additionally, you may want to look into Pandora Premium if you are looking for more control in your listening sessions.

With Pandora Premium, you have the ability to pick and choose what songs you want to listen to on demand. You also have the ability to create customized playlists - so if you were to create a Meditation playlist, you'd be able to pick and choose specific songs you want added to it.

You can learn more about Pandora Premium here.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jh81 We don't currently have the option to filter out certain genres such as wooden flute music on Pandora stations.

You can vote for this existing feature request here.

In the meantime, if you continue to Thumb Down these tracks, you will not hear them again on the station you're listening to. As always, you should use your Thumb ratings freely to tell Pandora what you want and don't want to hear.

Additionally, you may want to look into Pandora Premium if you are looking for more control in your listening sessions.

With Pandora Premium, you have the ability to pick and choose what songs you want to listen to on demand. You also have the ability to create customized playlists - so if you were to create a Meditation playlist, you'd be able to pick and choose specific songs you want added to it.

You can learn more about Pandora Premium here.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Jh81
Local Performer

I don't understand this lack of functionality. Pandora is supposed to employ ai and machine learning through its music genome project which should categorize music by hundreds of different characteristics. It's supposed to understand my music tastes better than I do. I've been down voting wooden flute music for weeks and I'm still getting it. Sounds like they have overstated their technical capabilities. This is the main reason I haven't converted to a paid subscriber; I don't trust their product.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

I definitely understand your frustration, @Jh81.

I've made sure to pass your feedback along to our engineering team.

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts - this type of information is very helpful as we work to improve our services for everyone.

Thanks for being a part of the Community! :pandora:

0 Kudos

Carmenpet
Local Performer

Mine is giving me completely different Genres after only half an hour of listening and I can't change it back

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Carmenpet The next time this happens, please give the out of place track that plays a thumbs down and write us back with the following:

• The name of the station you were listening to:
  • The date/time the out of place track(s) played
  • The name(s) of the out of place artist(s) on the station.
  • The title(s) of the out of place track(s) that played.
  • Were you able to give the out of place track(s) a Thumbs down?
  • Were you listening using a Pandora Mode like Crowd Faves, Discovery or Deep Cuts?

Also if possible, please grab a screenshot of the out of place track that plays, and send that in a reply to this message.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos