cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explicit Tracks now Censored

AlyssaPandora

Hi folks!

We've noticed reports about explicit tracks now playing as censored versions of your favorite tunes.

We try to buy unedited versions of all music and comedy we acquire, but sometimes a clean version is all that's available. This is particularly common with movie soundtracks and best-of collections.

Sometimes our licensing for certain content may expire. Other times we get the radio edit of a track before we get the original, and the tracks are indistinguishable from one another from a database perspective.

For that reason, Pandora might select a clean track from one of these sources instead of a nearly identical track from another album. This is an unfortunate reality of the record business: sometimes songs that are not identical are labeled as identical.

Finally, the lyrics preview will always display "clean" lyrics. If you'd like to view the full, uncensored text, click Show more or See all lyrics.

++

To report any tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
• The name(s) of the artist(s)
• The title(s) of the track(s)

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

Thanks for your help, and see ya around the community!

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

Labels (4)
383 Replies

AdamPandora

@rose555005 Always happy to help. 😁

Enjoy the music! 

Adam | Community Moderator

Let's share music in the Playlist Swap

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

Lloyd banks album HFM 2 explicit version doesn’t play while shuffling stations and explicit version of mobb deep infamy  still isn’t available 

0 Kudos

crbrabon
Local Performer

So how about just putting a filter in setting so we can automatically disclude censored versions?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Keysean2 Thank you for your additional reports - I have escalated this over to our curation team for further review.

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

The explicit version of Lloyd banks album HFM 2 doesn’t play on artist station only playing the clean version.

Lloyd banks station

5BEED1A1-1D07-4D31-B49E-53EED81FA6A8.jpeg

0 Kudos

AJM
Opening Act

The album below is the clean version but most of the tracks have the explicit icon. The album listed as (explicit) is indeed explicit (and has the icon).

The Rising Tied
Album by Fort Minor

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Keysean2 It looks like we do have the explicit version of that album available here: H.F.M.2 (Hunger For More 2) (Explicit)

Since you are a Premium subscriber, I recommend collecting the explicit version of the album linked above to avoid any future confusion with this.

Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, @AJM!

I have escalated your feedback to our curation team so they can further investigate. 🔎

0 Kudos

mccanntm9492
Local Performer

Call me crazy, but am I the only one that thinks it's ridiculous we have to keep track of the songs that come up explicit but are actually clean versions? I have always had explicit toggled on, and have since heard many songs that have a thumbs up from me, turn into clean versions which I would never like.  This happens all day long and I'm working, I don't have time to keep track of a list of songs that used to be explicit but are now clean ? And it's getting worse every week, I'm sick and tired of this, it ruins the song and is beyond frustrating.  What are we paying monthly subscription for if we have to do the work for you?...I don't mean to be rude , but this is bull.  I have had my Pandora account since like 2009, and this is seriously pushing me to start using Spotify, which I have always been against but this is pissing me off so much, I'm about to jump ship because this has been a constant problem for years with nothing being fixed.  Ridiculous.

Keysean2
Opening Act

Can y’all clear explicit version of the reason by beanie siegel

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Keysean2 I took a look on my end and do see that album is currently set to Radio only.

Although the majority of the songs in our collection will be eligible to be played without restrictions, you may encounter a portion of songs that are unavailable or labeled "Radio Only" due to our current licensing restrictions (as you noted). In the meantime, you can create a station that will play similar songs and artists, based on an artist or a particular song.

This being said, I have passed your feedback regarding getting it available for on demand listening to our curation team.

We are continuously working on increasing the amount of songs which can be played on stations, on-demand, or offline. Our intention is to provide enough music you enjoy to avoid any inconvenience around this.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@mccanntm9492 I definitely understand your frustration with this.

To clarify, there isn't a way to completely filter out clean versions of tracks from playing on your stations.

This thread is for those instances where you may have thumbed up the explicit version of a track, and when that track plays again on that same station, a clean version plays instead (even though the thumbs up rating is still highlighted).

This is something our curation team is actively looking into, however in order to do so, they need specific examples of tracks this is happening with.

If this describes the issue you are running into, can you please write me back with the following the next time this happens?

• The name of the station where this occurred.
  • The name(s) of the censored artist(s) and censored track(s)
  • The device you are using to stream Pandora

I will need specific examples before we can move forward with this.

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

EmperorJJ1
Diamond in the Rough

Cheers (Explicit)
Album by Obie Trice

Tastemaker (Explicit)Album by Pittsburgh Slim

These albums are listed as explicit but each individual track is listed as clean. They are indeed explicit

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

Thanks for reporting this, @EmperorJJ1!

I have passed your feedback along to our curation team so they can further investigate. 🔎

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@crbrabon If you'd like to see a feature like this added to Pandora, I recommend upvoting this feature request with a ❤️if you haven't already done so: Option to Block All Clean / Censored Songs

Hope we continue to see you around the Community! :pandora:

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

When I’m shuffling stations it will play censored song even when the explicit version is available 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Keysean2 To report any specific tracks that were once explicit but are now censored, please provide the following info:

• The name of the station where this occurred
  • The name(s) of the artist(s)
  • The title(s) of the track(s)
  • The make and model of the device you are using to stream Pandora

Once we have this information, we can report it to our curation team for you.

0 Kudos

Keysean2
Opening Act

can explicit version of HFM 2 play on stations now?

It still have problems playing the explicit version

0 Kudos

AdamPandora

@Keysean2 What I recommend doing is giving a thumbs down to any clean version that plays on your station.

This won't prevent the explicit versions from playing. 

In the meantime, you can also stream that album on demand with your Pandora Premium subscription.

The explicit version of that album is available here: H.F.M.2 (Hunger For More 2) (Explicit)

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Ecchikitty
Local Performer

'Above the Law' on 'Bad Meets Evil' is listed as explicit, but plays with censored lyrics.  It used to play explicit lyrics.

0 Kudos