cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do thumb ratings work?

isupreme
Underground

When i thumbs up a song, does it encourage it's placement on other channels?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@isupreme Use Thumbs to craft the sound you are trying to achieve and vary the playlists from station to station. For example, you might want to give a song you like a Thumb Down if you think it will bring in a certain type of music you'd prefer to not have on that station. Don't be afraid to rate songs – you can always edit your stations later if you don't like the direction your station is going or if you'd like to mix things up.

Giving a song a Thumbs Up tells Pandora to bring in similar artists and songs to your station.

Giving a song a Thumbs Down tells us not to play this track on this particular station. 

Keep in mind, Thumbs are station specific: rating a song with a Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

For more information on how thumb ratings work on Pandora, you can view this help page article.

Hope we continue to see you around the community! 🎧

View solution in original post

26 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@isupreme Use Thumbs to craft the sound you are trying to achieve and vary the playlists from station to station. For example, you might want to give a song you like a Thumb Down if you think it will bring in a certain type of music you'd prefer to not have on that station. Don't be afraid to rate songs – you can always edit your stations later if you don't like the direction your station is going or if you'd like to mix things up.

Giving a song a Thumbs Up tells Pandora to bring in similar artists and songs to your station.

Giving a song a Thumbs Down tells us not to play this track on this particular station. 

Keep in mind, Thumbs are station specific: rating a song with a Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down on one station will not affect any of your other stations.

For more information on how thumb ratings work on Pandora, you can view this help page article.

scott-owens
Local Performer

I have a few stations that tow a fine line between them.  I would love a button that allows me to thumb down/reject a song that I do not want played on station A, but still like it and want it on station B.  I am actually getting a lot of cross over between three stations 😕

0 Kudos

Glamdring
Opening Act

that already works OP, is it possible your station's genres are similar enough that you'll get crossover anyway? or not customized enough yet that they'll throw out anything? because-as an example-I have a station I play at the eldercare group home I work at that plays pretty much everything from 1940 to about 1982 but I have specifically thumbed down any punk rock on it, at he same time I have an old school punk station and not once has it tried to throw in The Andrews Sisters-the basis for the 1st station I mentioned.

it takes ALLOT of thumbing to fully customize a station to your liking, and you CAN screw it up. I had to fix my classic rock station, the 1st Led Zepplin song it ever played was Cashmere but it was the cover by p diddy I think, I thumbed it down and then I wasn't getting any LZ songs, not cool. so I added LZ manually and now I can thumb down the hip hop covers to my heart's content and still get my "Ramble On" fix

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@scott-owens I moved your post to this thread to keep the community organized.

Thumb ratings are actually station specific - for example, giving a thumbs down to a track on one station will not prevent it from playing again on another station.

For more information, please check out the accepted solution to this thread.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Firefairy
Underground

I have been using Pandora for a while, and decided to check- looks like Thumbs Down don't ban the artist entirely from a station anymore, is that correct? That would be a nice change from before- I have quite a few artists that have range, and some fairly tight genre stations.

Second, what happens if I thumb a song on thumbprint Radio? Does it add that to the station the source song is from, or just get disregarded, or what?

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Firefairy Nice to see you around the community! 😎

I'm happy to answer your questions.

Banning an artist from a station:

If you give consistent Thumbs-down to an artist on a given station, Pandora should learn to stop playing that artist on that station.

We do not offer an option to prevent an artist from playing on your account or specific stations, but I have noted your feedback as a feature request.

Of course, if you have added this artist or one of their songs as a seed on that station, or ever Thumbed them up on that station, you would have to remove these seeds or Thumbs first.

In the meantime, I recommend giving a ❤️to the thread we have for Blocking/Muting Certain Artists / Song Selection Rules to express your interest in getting it added to the service as well.

How thumb ratings work with Thumbprint Radio:

Thumbing a track up or down on Thumbprint Radio won't affect its thumb rating elsewhere. Just like your other stations, if you thumb it up, you'll hear more tracks like that, and if you thumb it down, it won't play again on Thumbprint Radio, but will remain thumbed up on the original station.

So be sure to thumb freely on Thumbprint Radio; this will help us learn which thumbs you want to hear more of, and which you aren't interested in anymore.

Hope this helps! 😄

0 Kudos

Firefairy
Underground

Actually, the help info a long time back indicated if you thumbs-downed an artist three times on one station, they wouldn't play on that station anymore. I like some artists that have hopped genres multiple times in a long career, so that was not desirable behavior. I am hoping that now, it will just fine-tune to which of their several styles I want on that station, rather than removing them entirely from the station. I wasn't worried that it would affect other stations.

Good to hear Thumbprint Radio works that way. Given how it gets its seeds, I wasn't sure. Thanks!

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Firefairy Always happy to help.

0 Kudos

all50medbill
Local Performer

if I thumbs down song in one station or play list, does in thumbs down it everywhere else? I am trying to create a wedding party playlist and I don't want a lot of my hard rock in it... but I am afraid to thumbs down it...because I don't want it thumbs downed in my hard rock stations. 

FYI - I am on premium version, not free.

mod edit: format
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@all50medbill Thumb ratings are actually station specific - for example, giving a thumbs down to a track on one station will not prevent it from playing again on another station.

For more information, please check out the accepted solution to this thread.

This being said, if you are looking to create a playlist where you can pick and choose what songs will play, you do have that option with your Pandora Premium subscription.

To create a playlist on a computer:

First, from your My Collection page, filter your collection by Playlists and select  + Create Playlist.

You can also do this from the Now Playing screen by clicking the ellipsis (three dots) below the album art to reveal a sub-menu. Hover over Add to Playlist and select New Playlist.

Finally, you can create a playlist from most songs or albums by clicking that ellipsis as well.

To create a playlist on a mobile device:

To create a new playlist, go to My Collection.

My Collection shows album art for all of your recently played tracks, but also allows you to sort your "Added" content – whether that might be radio stations, albums or songs.

To add a playlist, filter your Added content by tapping the downward arrow (or "carat") which appears below the album art.

Select Playlist from the menu.

Next, tap + New Playlist. Enter a name for your playlist and tap Next. Finally, use the search bar to find your favorite songs or albums to add.

Keep in mind that you can also create new playlists from the Now Playing screen, or by searching for a particular track. Just tap the ellipsis (...) below the album art, and indicate whether you'd like to add the track to a new playlist or an existing one.

Hope this helps!

TheeFuButton
Local Performer

Having to Re-thumbs down the same song on new stations is really annoying

It should be like blocking someone on facebook not allowed to be anywhere on pandora unless I go unblock the song from a list of songs I've thumbed down ... Pandora if your listening this change alone would make the entire service 100 times better for long term users I've booked something like 5500 hours of music on Pandora and I know for a fact that I've had to re remove the same songs on a new station several times over

0 Kudos

dom333
Underground

First off, Pandora support is great... Just have a quick question about thumbs down. Are they specific to each station? For instance, say I like a song, but not for the station I'm listening to, can I thumbs down it on the station I'm listening to, and the thumbs up it on another? Thanks

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@TheeFuButton Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Thumb ratings are station specific - for example, giving a thumbs down to a track on one station will not prevent it from playing again on another station.

For more information, please check out the accepted solution to this thread.

This being said, I recommend upvoting this existing feature request with a ❤️if you'd like to see this functionality added to the service: Blocking/Muting Certain Artists / Song Selection Rules

Hope we continue to see you around the Community! :pandora:

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @dom333. 👋

Nice to see you around the community space.

I moved your post over to this existing thread to keep everything organized: How do thumb ratings work?

The short answer to your question is yes. Using thumb feedback for any given song on one station won't impact any of your other stations. 

You can check out the accepted solution for more details about how your thumb feedback works here.

Hope this info is helpful. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

petefoss
Local Performer

I have a question about tuning stations.  Does thumbs up or down on one station effect other stations in My Collection?  I have several stations with similar styles but I'd like to tune them individually for different moods and audiences.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@petefoss I moved your post to this existing thread: How do thumb ratings work?

Thumb ratings are actually station specific - for example, giving a thumbs down to a track on one station will not prevent it from playing again on another station.

For more information, you can also check out this helpful thread that was created by one of our Moderators ( @TannerPandora 😞 Tanner's Tips: #4 Thumbs 👍🏻 👎🏻

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

UncleBud
Chart Topper

I just want to post a positive comment about the Thumbs Up/Thumb Down on Pandora. I have over 6000 thumbs up songs across my various stations. When I'm listening to a specific station I generally give any song I hear a thumbs up if I like it to add it and similar songs to that station. I like that the Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down is station specific. There have been many times I've given a thumbs down to a song that I actually like because I don't feel it fits the mood of the station I'm listening to. I have nothing but praise for Pandora.

andi3
Underground

Thank you, I did as you instructed. I have another question. When I Thumbs
Up a song, how do I know if it is from a station/radio or just a single
song?

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Info

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@andi3 I moved your post to this existing thread: How do thumb ratings work?

The option to give Thumb ratings is only available when listening to your collected stations.

So if you give a Thumb rating, it will apply to whatever station you are currently listening to.

For more information, you can also check out this helpful thread that was created by one of our Moderators ( @TannerPandora 😞 Tanner's Tips: #4 Thumbs 👍🏻 👎🏻

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos