cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add variety to a station

alc515
Local Performer

Hello!

I'm hoping the community has some good answers for me...

I use to be able to 'Add Variety' to a station I already created.

I am familiar with going to the Station details to see the seeds the 'Station Created From', however I no longer see the button to 'Add Variety'. When I click on the '...' (ellipsis) that would give me an option to 'Edit Station', that option is greyed out- I can see it, but I can't click it.

Is this for Pandora Plus members or for Pandora Premium members? Or does this option not exist at all anymore?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@rajahfl You should still be able to add variety to that station.

To add variety to that station on a computer:

Click on your Mannie Fresh Radio station. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, sort your collection by Stations, and then select the name of the station you'd like to edit.

From there you can Add Variety to your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. Then choose + Add Variety.

To add variety to that station from your phone:

1. From My Collection, visit your station list.
2. Tap on your Mannie Fresh Radio station. 

• If you're a Pandora Premium subscriber, this will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  • If you're a free listener or Pandora Plus subscriber, this will start your station, so tap either the Thumb or small "i" icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.

3. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.

4. Use the + Add Variety button to search for an artist or track to add as a seed on your station.

Hope this helps. Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎶

View solution in original post

105 Replies

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@alc515 Welcome to the community!

What is the name of the station you are having trouble adding variety to?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

davidradio
Opening Act

Maybe the work around is to start with an artist you like to add variety. I only have one station. Last time I checked a couple of weeks ago I could. Took a lot of scrolling down (should be first thing) but add variety was at the very bottom. 

http://www.pandora.com/#/station/play/562847793723116002

0 Kudos

davidradio
Opening Act

@alc515 wrote:

Hello!

I am familiar with going to the Station details to see the seeds the 'Station Created From', however I no longer see the button to 'Add Variety'. When I click on the '...' (ellipsis) that would give me an option to 'Edit Station', that option is greyed out- I can see it, but I can't click it.

Is this for Pandora Plus members or for Pandora Premium members? Or does this option not exist at all anymore?

@alc515 wrote:

Hello!

Add variety in between “Station Created From” and “Thumbed Up Songs”.Add variety in between “Station Created From” and “Thumbed Up Songs”.

0 Kudos

lapsu
Local Performer

Has the "Add Variety" button been removed from the web player? I couldn't find it anywhere and was only able to find it after switching to my phone.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@lapsu What is the name of the station you are having trouble adding variety to?

0 Kudos

rajahfl
Local Performer

Lemme be clear, I am not using a pre-existing Pandora station.  Unless one of Pandora's stations is related to the Big Tymers producer Mannie Fresh.  This is a user created station.  I seeded this station based on the artist Mannie Fresh.  I do not see the "Add Variety" option.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@rajahfl You should still be able to add variety to that station.

To add variety to that station on a computer:

Click on your Mannie Fresh Radio station. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, sort your collection by Stations, and then select the name of the station you'd like to edit.

From there you can Add Variety to your station by scrolling down to the Station Created From section. Then choose + Add Variety.

To add variety to that station from your phone:

2. Tap on your Mannie Fresh Radio station. 

• If you're a Pandora Premium subscriber, this will take you directly to the station's "backstage page." 
  • If you're a free listener or Pandora Plus subscriber, this will start your station, so tap either the Thumb or small "i" icon in the upper right corner of your screen to continue to the station's backstage page.

3. From the station's backstage page, tap on the Edit icon (the small pencil to the left of the play icon) to edit your station, and scroll down to Station Created From.

4. Use the + Add Variety button to search for an artist or track to add as a seed on your station.

Hope this helps. Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎶

smk
Local Performer

As a very longtime subscriber, I'm completely confused by your changes, plans and exclusions.  Seems like even though I pay good money to listen, I can't change or add much.  I simply want to add songs to my stations as I think of them.  Is that the current state of affairs?

TannerPandora

Hi @smk thanks for posting to community! I've moved your post to this thread because it sounds like you're trying to add variety to your station. Sorry for any confusion over this. Please see below for instructions on how to add variety to your stations.

Additionally, I do see that you're upgraded to Pandor Plus - if you'd like more information about the benefits included in your subscription, I'd recommend visiting our help page here for more information. 

++

The Add Variety feature will introduce a wider variety of music to your station based on each of the artist or song "seeds" you add.

From a computer: 

Click on the name of the station you'd like to edit. If the station is not available from your Now Playing page, click on the My Collection button first, sort your collection by Stations, and then select the name of the station you'd like to edit.

Next, either enter the name of another song or artist, or roll your cursor over a suggested artist. Whichever you choose, hover your mouse over your selection and click on the "+" sign that appears to add that seed to your station.

That said, you can use Pandora Modes to customize your station experience when you're listening on our website or your mobile device. You can pick different modes like, Crowd Faves, Discovery and Deep Cuts. Then be sure to Thumb Up songs you liked to inspire similar songs to play.

++

From your mobile device:

2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit. 

To remove variety from your station (a "seed" that you've added in the past):
Follow steps #1 - 3 and then tap the small (X) beside the item(s) you'd like to remove. 

++

Things to keep in mind:

• You won't be able to Add Variety to your Thumbprint Radio, or to genre stations curated by Pandora. If you'd like more information about why, let me know.
  • Each seed you add will inspire hundreds of other songs, so a little variety goes a long way.

Thanks for posting to community! 🎧

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

Garyd109
Local Performer
I can no longer add new artists to my stations either. We keep being told to go to the backstage, (which is inaccessible) or go to your staion and start the song that comes up, then go to add variety. The add variety button doesn't seem to exist anymore on my ipad or PC. I have added songs before as a free member, is it now a paying member feature?

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Garyd109 What is the name of the station you are having trouble adding variety to?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

Laura35RDH
Local Performer

Please bring back song and artist requests. I  have made a music station of songs that I prefer but am not able to request various songs and artists anymore. I would like to expand my station and don't like waiting for the station to guess the songs and music I'd like to add.

TannerPandora

Hi @Laura35RDH Thanks for posting! I've moved your message to My Collection in our support section. It sounds like you might have run into an issue adding variety to your stations. 

Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening? Are you listening to Pandora on a computer or on a device?

1. If you are on a computer, are you listening from:
    • A Mac or Windows computer?
    • Our website, or the desktop app? If you're listening from our website, what browser are you using?
  2. If you are on a device, what is the make and model?

Thanks for the help with this. Let me know. 

++

In the meantime, if you're on a mobile device, you should be able to use the following steps to add variety to your station(s). Keep in mind, you won't be able to add variety to a genre station as these work a little differently that your other station. 

To add variety to a station:

2. Tap on the name of the station you'd like to edit. 

Keep in mind that each seed you add will inspire hundreds of other songs, so a little variety goes a long way.

Note: you won't be able to add variety to your Thumbprint Radio station or to genre stations curated by Pandora. 

To remove variety from your station (a "seed" that you've added in the past):
Follow steps #1 - 3 and then tap the small (X) beside the item(s) you'd like to remove. 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

jhuntsman
Local Performer

The + add variety button is not there. I have been searching for 45 minutes.  I am following pandora's instructions from the "Station created from" section but there is no + variety button unless I am completely blind.  Please help.

Moderator Edit: Format

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jhuntsman What is the name of the station you are having trouble adding variety to?

Also, what device are you streaming Pandora on?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

drharris12
Local Performer

After wading through several community threads all essentially restating this same common problem (inability to add variety, no + sign present), it should be apparent now that this is in fact, a problem with the platform and not individual users. I have been a Pandora subscriber for nearly 5 years and have a couple dozen stations that i've created by "seeding" them via the "add variety" + sign. This option is no longer available on my desktop (Mac), mobile (iPhone), nor my TV option (Roku)

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@drharris12 I'm happy to look into this.

What are the names of some of the stations you are no longer able to add variety to?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

Meowrissa
Local Performer

I am having the exact same issue. I have been a Pandora user for years, and a paid premium member since it's been offered. I am very familiar with the platform and the add variety option has been missing for months. After reading through friends I have tried everything suggested and it is just not there. I have tired on my pc (mac) and my phone (galaxy s10)

Screenshot_20200619-191517_Pandora.jpg

TannerPandora

Thanks for posting @Meowrissa  😸

Sorry for any trouble adding variety to a station. I'm happy to take a closer look for you.

Unfortunately, in your screenshot (thank you for providing by the way) looks like it cut off the station name.

Can you let me know the station(s) you're having trouble with and I'll take a look.

Thanks! 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos