cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thumb up vs adding to collection

ManWithJoeName
Underground

This all just seems rather confusing. Also what all does saving a song to my device do? does it automatically add it to my collection? Does doing all four different things I can do with a song (thumbs up, add to collection, add to playlist, and saving to device) mean it will play more often? I wish there was a simple chart out there that explained what all these different options do when applying them to a song.

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ManWithJoeName !

Providing thumb ratings is only an option when listening to your created stations. Giving a thumb rating on a station will help guide your station into playing of more of the music you want to hear. 

For more information on how thumbs work on Pandora, you can refer to this page.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Adding a song to your collection will give you easier access to listening to that specific track on-demand. 

My Collection is the central location to view all music types you've added to your collection: artists, albums, songs, stations, playlists and podcasts. It functions just like My Music, which you may still see if you access Pandora from our website, or from certain other devices.

For more information on how to navigate through your collection, you can refer to this page.

When you save a track, what you are doing is downloading that specific song to be available in Offline Mode.

Offline Mode is a feature we offer to our subscribers that enables you to listen without a Wi-Fi or cell network signal.

For more information on how Offline Mode works, you can refer to this page.

When you add a song to a playlist, you will either have the option of adding the song to an existing playlist, or to create a new playlist where you can pick and choose what songs you want to include. 

For more information on how playlists work on Pandora, you can refer to this page.

Hope this helps. Thanks for being a part of the community! 

View solution in original post

11 Replies

BigWillie
Local Performer
Set up of Premium Collection vs. Playlist. I’m a bit confused. Thx
0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ManWithJoeName !

Providing thumb ratings is only an option when listening to your created stations. Giving a thumb rating on a station will help guide your station into playing of more of the music you want to hear. 

For more information on how thumbs work on Pandora, you can refer to this page.

Adding a song to your collection will give you easier access to listening to that specific track on-demand. 

My Collection is the central location to view all music types you've added to your collection: artists, albums, songs, stations, playlists and podcasts. It functions just like My Music, which you may still see if you access Pandora from our website, or from certain other devices.

For more information on how to navigate through your collection, you can refer to this page.

When you save a track, what you are doing is downloading that specific song to be available in Offline Mode.

Offline Mode is a feature we offer to our subscribers that enables you to listen without a Wi-Fi or cell network signal.

For more information on how Offline Mode works, you can refer to this page.

When you add a song to a playlist, you will either have the option of adding the song to an existing playlist, or to create a new playlist where you can pick and choose what songs you want to include. 

For more information on how playlists work on Pandora, you can refer to this page.

Hope this helps. Thanks for being a part of the community! 

ManWithJoeName
Underground

That is the best repsonse I have yet seen, and I have searched the web for quite awhile looking for that.  

Just a couple more questions: What all does my thumbprint radio station draw from?  Are songs I've added to my collection played more than just regular thumbed up songs?

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ManWithJoeName!

Thumbprint Radio uses your thumbs to create a unique listening experience. By playing both thumbed-up and non-thumbed tracks from across all your stations, we hope to bring you lots of your favorites while sprinkling in some new finds in a seamless listening journey.

The song added to your collection are tracks that you can play on-demand at any time, and are not apart of your Thumbprint Radio station. However, with Pandora Premium, you do have Thumb Up playlists.

My Thumbs Up is a playlist that collects your Thumbed-Up tracks from each of your stations. When you sign up for Pandora Premium, we begin it by adding your 1,000 most recent Thumbs (if you have that many). Moving forward, every time you Thumb Up a song on one of your stations or eligible playlists, it will be automatically added to My Thumbs Up.

Unlike Thumbprint Radio, which plays your Thumbed-Up tracks along with other you may like, My Thumbs Up playlists will only play the songs you have Thumbed-Up.

To listen to this playlist, go to My Collection, sort by Playlists and select My Thumbs Up.

++++

@BigWillie I moved your post here as @AdamPandora shared some great info that I would recommend checking out regarding My Collection. 

Hope this helps!

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

Nicholas
Underground

If I'm understanding right, the thumbs up/down ratings are only available in stations because they're used to tune the station and determin which other songs and artists will be added. Does that mean a song can have multiple thumbs up/down ratings across multiple stations? If I like a song, but think it's not right for one station can I thumbs down it in that station without effecting it's status in other stations?

Thanks!

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Nicholas That is exactly right - thumb ratings are station specific, so how you rate a track on one station will not affect how it plays on any of your other stations.

nite28club
Local Performer

I deleted my thumbs down awhile ago. Does my thumbs up automatically join my playlist or do I have to physically move them into my collection?

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @nite28club thanks for posting to community!

Would you mind clarifying a bit more, I'm not entirely sure what your question is.

Keep in mind, using thumbs up and thumbs down help craft the sound you are trying to achieve and vary the music from station to station. For example, you might want to give a song you like a Thumb Down if you think it will bring in a certain type of music you'd prefer to not have on that station.

Don't be afraid to rate songs, you can always edit your stations later if you don't like the direction your station is going or if you'd like to mix things up.

The tracks that you thumb-up will appear in your Thumbprint Radio station, however, these individual tracks will not be part of 'My Collection'. As a free listener, you're able to only collect stations in My Collection.

Hope this was at least a little helpful. Let me know if you have more questions. 🎧

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Dejax63
Local Performer

collect is to get the song in your library

thumbs up are just another list of you thumbs up songs

sorry there are no thumbs down songs

confused?-Its meant to be-LOL

ncrowder
Local Performer

So in order to collect songs or specific artists you have to be a paid subscriber?  That explains why I can't find a way to add a song I'm listening to to "My Collection" then.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ncrowder That is correct.

It's not currently possible to listen to most content "on-demand" through ad-supported Pandora or Pandora Plus.

If you would like to listen to a song or album on-demand, we do offer a solution through Pandora Premium subscriptions and complimentary sessions of Pandora Premium. This service combines our industry leading radio service with on-demand listening.

Use this link to learn more about upgrading. Alternatively, you can start a complimentary session simply by searching our library for a song or album, and clicking play. This will trigger a short advertisement, after which you can enjoy content on-demand.

Ad-supported Pandora and Pandora Plus are designed to introduce you to new music through the artists and songs that you already know and love. You can type in your favorite artist or song and music that is similar to your selection will play on your station.

While these Pandora stations will learn what you like and don't like based on Thumbs feedback, it's not possible to predict exactly which song will play next. Only Pandora Premium offers users that level of control.

Hope this helps explain! 😁

0 Kudos