cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast - Pandora crashes when connecting

johnnyrook
Underground

Every time I try to connect to any of our Google Home speakers Pandora immediately crashes. Anyone else having this issue?

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

Pandora Update: 9/20/22

Thank you for confirming that this has been resolved with version 2209.1.

As this is now resolved, I am closing this thread from further comments. If you experience this issue again in the future, please create a new post and reference this existing thread.

Thank you for being part of community!

Pandora Update: 9/19/22

Hi all! Thanks for posting your experience.

We wanted to follow up regarding the recent issue with casting on the Pandora app. Our engineers have been working diligently, and we believe the problem has now been resolved in our latest app version, 2209.1.

Please try updating the app on your device and let us know if you continue to encounter trouble.

We apologize for any inconvenience and greatly appreciate your patience. Thanks for listening!

+++

Here's how to update the Pandora app on your Android device: 

1. Tap your profile avatar in the top right corner.
  2. Select Manage apps & device.
  3. Then tap Manage and scroll to Pandora for updates.

Tip: In some cases, you may need to restart your device to update an app.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

89 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @johnnyrook! Welcome to community!

Can you tell me a little bit more about how you connect to Google Home? Is it through Chromecast or Bluetooth? Are you able to connect to other devices without issue or just Google Home?

Can you let me know your device version?

• Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • Open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.

Thanks!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

mattmclark
Underground

I'm having the same problem. Out of nowhere the app is unusable again. Very frustrating.

johnnyrook
Underground

Hi @TannerPandora,

I have several Google Nest mini speakers, a Google Home Max, and Nest WiFi points that I also use as speakers.  I connect to them the same way I would connect to a Chromecast, through the Pandora app by hitting the Cast icon.  My wife is able to connect her phone (iPhone) with Spotify with no issues.  This issue happens at home as well as by workplace where I use a Chromecast.

I am running Android 12 and Pandora version 2208.1

TannerPandora

Hey @johnnyrook thanks for the follow up. 👍 I've reported this experience to our engineering team for further investigation.

Hi@mattmclark Happy to pass along your info. Can you let me know the make and model of your mobile device, the Android version and the Pandora version you're on. If you need help finding this, let me know.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

mattmclark
Underground
I have a google pixel 4a and my pandora version is 2208.1

TannerPandora

Thank you, @mattmclark 👍

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

krehbika
Underground

I have a Galaxy Note 10+ with Android 12 and Pandora App version 2208.1 as well. It updated to that version yesterday and I now am experiencing the exact same thing - any time I attempt to cast, the speakers blip like they're being connected to, and the app immediately crashes.

CyberRiot
Local Performer

It worked fine 3 days ago.  Now when I click the cast icon, and select a speaker, it crashes.  I hear the speaker make a "bloop" sound like it's connecting, but nothing else.  Then the the app crashes and closes.  If I try it multiple times, i will eventually get a popup error message telling me to check for an update to the app, but I'm not sure if this popup is originating from Pandora or Google.

Samsung Galaxy S21 5G (Model Number: SM-G991U) with Android Version 12, casting to a Google Nest Mini through Wifi.

However, if I tell google to play music, it connects and plays Pandora as usual, but I don't have control from my phone like I used to. Basic controls used to show up in my notifications, and I could pull it down to skip or pause/play.  Now I see nothing there.

mattmclark
Underground

The exact same issue I am having. 

0 Kudos

Mmiii
Opening Act

Same here....so sad 😢

0 Kudos

Jlowe
Local Performer

Same issue, just started a few days ago.  Galaxy s20+.  Android 12

0 Kudos

calicojck
Local Performer

Pixel 6, 2208.1. Same issue, crashes when connecting to Chromecast.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jlowe I'd like to report your issue to our engineering team. Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Let me know what you can find out.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@calicojck I'd like to report your issue to our engineering team. Can you send over a bit more info about your device?

Let me know what you can find out.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mmiii Can you tell me a little bit more about how you connect to Google Home? Is it through Chromecast or Bluetooth? Are you able to connect to other devices without issue or just Google Home?

Additionally, can you please send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

calicojck
Local Performer

This happened in Android 12, and it's still happening after upgrading to Android 13.  This definitely started after the last Pandora update.

I am connected to WiFi.

When I select my Chromecast, the Pandora window immediately closes and I'm back on my home screen. I do see that Google Home shows Pandora connected to the Chromecast, even though Pandora had crashed and no music is playing. If I reopen Pandora, Pandora does not think it's connected and will crash again if I try to cast.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up, @calicojck.

Your feedback has now been added to the ticket we have open with the engineers who are looking into this.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime!

0 Kudos

johnd3101
Local Performer

Same exact thing here. Literally word for word. It chimes the speaker, crashes, then going back in it shows its casting with no music playing to the speaker. Try to cast again...crash

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@johnd3101 Can you tell me a little bit more about how you connect to Google Home? Is it through Chromecast or Bluetooth? Are you able to connect to other devices without issue or just Google Home?

Additionally, can you please send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos