cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chromecast - Pandora crashes when connecting

johnnyrook
Underground

Every time I try to connect to any of our Google Home speakers Pandora immediately crashes. Anyone else having this issue?

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
89 Replies

skdiss
Local Performer

I will be canceling my subscription if this isn't resolved soon

Mmiii
Opening Act
  • Model:

Oneplus 10 Pro

• Carrier:

Telekom

• Android version (Settings > About Phone):

• Build number (Settings > About Phone):

NE2213_11_A.16

• Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):

07_2022

• Pandora version: 2208.1
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Wifi, cast via cellular to local Google speaker never works!

• Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Issue exists since app update to 2208.1

Adumo410
Local Performer

Same issue.

Pandora version: 2208.1

Phone make: Samsung Galaxy 22

Mmiii
Opening Act

Uninstall / Reinstall the old Version 2205.1.1 from Playstore solves the issue
I can not understand why such a simple solution doesnt come from support

johnd3101
Local Performer

2205.1.1 works.

Also just turning off auto-update on already working devices for now

0 Kudos

johnnyrook
Underground

Order version works for me too but in the meantime I found a better solution: started using Spotify and it's a significantly better experience. Will be cancelling my Pandora subscription. 

Mmiii
Opening Act

@johnnyrook 

believe me I tested all music streaming services. Pandora is by far the best for me. Try genre based radio with instrumental songs or Xmas songs only. Spotify won't deliver that. pandora simply has the best algorithm. the music is always on point. Pandora gives me the soundtrack of my life. I even make a lot of effort to listen to it from Germany...😉

krehbika
Underground

They quietly pulled the 2208.1 version from the Play Store, so if you uninstall Pandora and then install it again, you get version 2205.1.1, which does not have this problem.

sullychelone
Local Performer

Having the exact same issue when I try to cast to chromecast to use my surround sound speakers

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@sullychelone A few others on this thread have mentioned that uninstalling/reinstalling Pandora in the Play Store has resolved the issue for them.

Can you please confirm if this works for you as well?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

skdiss
Local Performer

Yes, 2205.1.1 is working

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for confirming, @skdiss🤝

0 Kudos

johnnyrook
Underground

@Mmiii in my experience so far, Pandora can't doesn't even hold a candle to Spotify.  Better algorithm, better interaction with Google Home, better user interface, better everything honestly.  I highly recommend everyone who is on this thread make the switch.  The experience with my Google Home setup has improved significantly.  

0 Kudos

Jbgrant2
Local Performer

Same problem on s21 ultra, not fixed since 8/20/22.  Going to try to roll back the app.  Google submits the app crashes automatically.  Pushing me to spotify for less problems since soundiiz makes migration so easy.

0 Kudos

BiancGam
Local Performer

Same issue as everyone above and I'm a premium user. Never had a problem till now.

0 Kudos

Usysinc
Opening Act

Multi-device Chromecasting, comes and goes at the whims of Google. 😉

When you stream music or video to multiple Chromecast devices, "one" of the
devices must become the streaming master over the others in the group.

It appears that if you unpower one of the devices from within a group, then
the master device gets the message.

The ultimate solution: UNPLUG and REBOOT from the USB power source, one or
more of your Chromecast devices and try again. Rebooting at least one
chromecast device seems to put them all back in an operational reset
condition.

Respectfully,
Brendan Graham

mod edit: removed personal information

0 Kudos

Haqd
Underground

Same problem on S21+ worked just fine then my phone automatically updated to 2208.2 and now it wont connect to any google speaker. Pandora app immediately crashes. No bloop, no beep just crash. Every time. I tried restarting phone still crashes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Pandora still crashes. I hate Spotify, but Pandora is becoming the reason I might switch soon...

0 Kudos

Lovingthekeys
Local Performer

I have had the same problem with my S21 Ultra.  Some have mentioned reinstalling 2205 - I have been to the Play Store and don’t see that option.  If anyone can tell us how to go back to version 2205, please let us know.

As for the Pandora vs. Spotify debate, hands down Pandora has better algorithms for song choice when you play a radio station of an artist or a song.  Spotify seems to want to play a lot of obscure stuff that you’ve never heard, whereas Pandora plays all the songs you’d expect on a radio station based on that artist or song.  That being said, Spotify is WAY better on the Google Home UI and capabilities.  And that explains why I have both…

Incidentally, despite the crashing of the Pandora app on my S21, I can start Pandora on my iPad, and a “Media” app opens up on my S21 and gives me some functionality to skip or replay songs and control volume.  Just FYI… 

What is soundiiz??

mod edit: merged comments
0 Kudos

krehbika
Underground

If you uninstall Pandora from your phone, then go to the Play Store to reinstall it, you will get the working version.

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi @Haqd @krehbika @Lovingthekeys @Usysinc @Jbgrant2 👋

Thanks for providing that info and sorry for the continued trouble.

I’ve passed this along to the appropriate parties for further investigation. In the meantime, please keep an eye out for future updates to the Pandora app, it’s likely how this issue will be addressed.

We really appreciate your patience in the meantime!

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos