cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS: Tracks skip when phone screen is locked

Maddyv519
Local Performer

Hello! Everytime I lock my iPhone pandora stops playing and changes the song . It started doing this about 3 days ago. Any suggestions ? Only does it when I do not have my AirPods on.

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
45 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey, @Maddyv519. 👋

First, I would recommend running through our troubleshooting steps: iOS Troubleshooting

If the issue continues, could you share more details about your device to report to the appropriate party?

It's helpful to know:

• Device & Generation: 
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version:
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

Thanks for reporting this. Let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

AndyA
Underground

Anyone notice that downloaded songs stop playing when you press the side button (on the right). Makes the whole offline functionality unusable. Also will skip to the next song when you hit play. 

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @AndyA. 👋

I moved your post over to this existing thread: iOS: Locking iPhone Changes Song

Another community member posted about this previously but didn't provide additional details about their device.

Would you mind sharing your device info so that I can pass this along to our engineering team? I've taken a look at your account, it appears that you may have already tried uninstalling / reinstalling recently. If not, you can find those steps here: iOS Troubleshooting

In the meantime, it's helpful to know:

• Device & Generation: 
  • Carrier:
  • iOS version:
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?

I appreciate your help with this. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

Greyout
Underground

I've always thought Pandora to be buggy, but this latest issue is driving me crazy and I'm about to migrate to Spotify.

iPhone 13 Pro Max running iOS 16.4.1(a)

Pandora ver 2305.2

I listen to Pandora quite a bit with my phone in airplane mode, and the app in off-line mode.  (I fly a lot).  This has always worked, more or less, ok.  Some repetition issues, but otherwise ok.

Most recent iOS update has ruined off-line mode. 

Now, when app goes into off-line mode (either automatically or manually), the audio will stop playing when the phone's screen is turned off (either manually or times out).

When you press a button to turn the phones screen back on, the audio will resume on the lock screen, albeit one track further down the playlist.  Turning the screen off again will, again, stop the audio.

When the app has a data connection, the audio will continue to play when the screen goes off.

To clarify, this is not an issue of the audio stopping when the phone is just locked.  It plays from the lock screen just fine.  Its when the phone goes dark that it stops.

I have dug through all the settings of the app and the phone with no luck

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, @Greyout. 👋

Thanks for reporting your experience and providing your device details. I understand how frustrating this issue has been. 

In the meantime, I've gone ahead and shared this with the relevant party on your behalf.

Thank you for your patience during this process. 🎧

0 Kudos

Greyout
Underground

The other users posts on this issue describe it well - when you press the side button to turn the phones display off (lock it), it stops playing the song if you are playing a downloaded song.  If you have a data connection and are streaming, it will continue to play while locked.

Someone mentioned above that it doesn't do this when using airpods.  If I recall, I too didn't experience this issue when connected to a bluetooth device.  I do however have this problem when my phone is connected to wired headphones, and when my phone is playing out of its own internal speaker.

MT-Mike
Underground

Having the same issue, hundreds of us without active solution from Pandora. Seems like it's mostly iPhones since the recent iOS update.

Stations downloaded but then it'll erase them when offline. It's directly correlated to the iPhone lock and offline with Pandora. I've played with this issue on three phones over 2 months or of service and it's really frustrating, to say the least

Perfectly worded, are your stations erased as you end up switching to a different station?

The only thing I've noticed is that the "thumbs up" radio will download 270-280 songs and it will not erase these. That's with Premium service.

We definitely need a solution but it seems isolated to iOS devices running iOS 16.4+

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

Greyout
Underground

Yes!  I thought I was crazy but you are right.  Initially I blamed it on the fact I had deleted & reinstalled the app, and maybe the station hadn't downloaded fully.    But after confirming that all my stations that I want offline access to had fully downloaded, I noticed that they would disappear randomly while in off-line mode.

I've really reached my limit with the buggy-ness of Pandora lately.  It's never been great, just good enough, and I know the process of trying to reconstruct my music tastes with another service would be a pain.  But my frustration is high enough at this point that it may come to that

Greyout
Underground

I received an email stating that one of the messages in this thread was recorded as a solution - but it certainly is not.  Without the ability to listen reliably off-line, Pandora is useless to me.  Very frustrating

0 Kudos

MT-Mike
Underground

I've been able to have success with downloading the "Thumbs Up Radio" whereas it'll download about 17 hours of music. Using again offline today to see that functionality is consistent.

I think with Premium (making us pay more money than we should have to when Plus is supposed to have offline music) I can download specific songs but haven't tested offline in a real world situation.

0 Kudos

Greyout
Underground

This is still making the app unusable offline.  Is there any update?

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Greyout! Thanks for your continued patience. We are working on a resolution, but do not yet have an ETA for when that will be available. We'll continue to follow along with engineering conversations and relay updates to you as they become available.

*Please note: This message has been Accepted as a Solution to flag the current steps and/or status of this thread. This post will be updated with more information as it is provided to the moderation team, if required.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

d7garcia
Local Performer

Dear Tanner Pandora 

When is this issue going to be fixed?! This issue "Pandora stopping when the Iphone is locked" has been posted for some time. PLEASE PROVIDE an ETA so that the ENORMOUS number of IPHONE users know that this is being ACTUALLY worked on. Note this issue is only when the phone is not using a bluetooth connection to audio, but it only happens when the Iphone is playing on the speaker, or through hard wire Audio connection. 

Bart-Simpson106
Local Performer

I use an iPhone 8 with the app up to date on a premium account (this is an alternate account for troubleshooting), and whenever I listen to downloaded songs and turn my phone‘s screen off, the song gets skipped and removed from downloads. I have tried reinstalling the app and my downloads, but the problem persists.

MT-Mike
Underground

So TanneraPandora here's the deal... and before you post a generic reply, please understand a few KEY elements which will be listed below:

* The users reporting this issue are PAYING customers to Pandora. They work hard, sacrifice their hard earned $10-20/month EVERY month for using this subscription service. We, effectively, are how Pandora essentially has a business to operate, and how you have employment, no offense but I want to make that clear.

- To pay for a service every single month, $10-20/month over the course of nearly 8-10 months and NOT providing said services is essentially stealing from your customer's. It's as though promises are made, advertised, and then upon payment we (your customers) end up without that product. The very nature of paying for Pandora is "Offline Music." Without providing your customers with what's advertised, you are failing to provide to us what's promised. 

- Most users that pay for the additional subscription are doing so SPECIFICALLY for the Offline Music option. These customers are misled that upon paying for offline music, that they will have their stations upon necessity of music in areas without cellular service.

- Several dozens of threads (many, like myself) have been discussing this since late last year. All we get from Pandora is a blanket statement of "I have no ETA" but we're "working" on it. Nothing is being done, nor has it been done. 

- People listen to music for a variety of reasons, whether that be to relax and enjoy some great memories with loved ones, playing some great music on a first date and trying to win that person over, or simply jamming away behind the wheel on a road trip. You see, you don't simply provide a service, but effectively you're creating long-lasting memories. The impact of music is IMMENSE, it's one of the few senses and has an overwhelming impact on society. It is, at the very core, an essential and even vital pathway to our human emotions.

With all of this said, please understand that I do not have a solution, nor do I know the solution. I understand that technology is, at best, a fluid machine that's constantly evolving. You are not responsible for the fix, but your are responsible for your captive audience that are asking questions, to give us tangible answers, which you are not.

Is the solution from Pandora to reimburse iPhone users that are experiencing this issue from the time iOS 16 came out; after all, we've paid Pandora for a service that they aren't able to deliver? I've actually upgraded my subscription since this began, hoping it would solve the issue so now I'm paying MORE each month to still have this issue

We don't need the rhetoric, we need the company that's offering a product to DELIVER that product, or credit us back for the money spent when that product ISN'T available.

iOS 16.4 doesn't seem to have this issue, iOS 16.5 does. It's seemingly isolated to iPhone users, so that narrows things down quite a bit.

The issue is, essentially, that music is downloaded, and then is unusable to customer (not present). Furthermore, stations self delete and when iPhone screen lock activates after preset time or manual lock, the song skips and station will delete at end of song. 

I've had this issue since last year and it's not changed. I've paid nearly $120-130 for offline music that isn't available. We are the customer's, we are upset, and we  expect either resolution or reimbursement. Other services, I don't need to name, have a much better experience and don't have these issues. I'm trying to remain a loyal customer after fifteen years, as are many that follow and share my frustration but it's time for you to give us loyal customers a resolution.

What is Pandora going to do to keep us as customer's and provide us the amazing services we've grown to love, but have been neglected?

d7garcia
Local Performer

I will be contacting a Pandora Customer Service Manager for compensation for these known issues and I hope to also get a regular update on the progress to fix the problem. I think everybody in this post should do the same as these open loop responses from Pandora are making no progress.

Mikhancho99
Underground

Everytime I try to use Pandora (Premium) in offline mode it will do nothing but skip everysong when the phone goes to sleep.  This has been an issue for some time now for me. I have tried to redownload all my stations, switch between offline and on. Have went as far as to delete the app off my phone and reinstall it. None of this has solved the issue. Pretty much renders Premium as useless and a waste of money. Please healp. 

Moderator Edit: Changing title for clarity

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Mikhancho99! Welcome to community, sorry for any trouble with your offline content.

Sounds like you've already tried some troubleshooting steps on your end. While I don't have any additional steps to provide at this time, I'm happy to pass this along to our engineering team for further investigation.

Would you mind letting me know a few details about your iPhone:

• iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)

Thanks for your help!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Kmill
Local Performer

As of 9/4/23 I am also having this issue still with no response from Pandora. I pay a yearly amount. I’ll be switching companies at my next pay period. This is ridiculous! I’ll also be contacting the company for compensation (that I’m sure I won’t receive).

0 Kudos