cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Unable to Cast to Chromecast

Phade
Underground

Hey Everyone!

I have been happily casting Pandora to my Chromecast devices for years using my phone and tablet.  However, I have not been able to connect for the last few days to any of my Chromecast devices (Chromecast Audio, Chromecast Ultra).  Pandora will see the target device, attempt to connect, but then say, "Your session has ended" after a few seconds of silence.

I have attempted to fix it by restarting the devices and my phone (Samsung S10).  All devices are current with software updates.  Other casting services (Amazon) cast just fine from my phone to all Chromecast devices.  

What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks and have a great day!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
64 Replies

kidatech
Underground

T Mobile Samsung note 9

T Mobile

Android 10

2104.1.1 (ANDROID-TUNER 21041102)

WiFi

Moto g7 plus

Tracfone

Android 10

WiFi

T Mobile

T Mobile Samsung A20

Android 10

WiFi

I also try factory resetting and swapping wifi routers which only other accounts worked but mines. This is what lead me to the conclusion that my account is messed up.

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@kidatech I appreciate you taking the time to send over your device info. I have created an internal ticket with our engineering team so they can investigate what's happening. Thanks for reporting this issue and for your patience during this process. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024

cngann
Local Performer

I'm seeing messages on here going back over 2 years reporting the exact same issue.  My wife cannot cast Pandora from her Pixel 3, and has not been able to almost since the day our card was charged.  Sub-accounts seem to not display this issue as badly, but sometimes it takes 3, 4, 5, or more attempts to play.  The chromecast makes the connection sound, but nothing comes out of Pandora.

On top of that, you have issues in your Android Auto implementation where two different songs will play at the same time.  This behavior indicates an audio mixing issue inside of the Pandora app itself.  If I paused music that was playing on my Chromecast at home, then go into my car and Android Auto attempts to play the last thing I was listening to in my car, Pandora will play BOTH songs simultaneously.

I could continue attempting to be your QA, but I have my own software engineering and QA departments to manage and it's easier to just cut my losses and go to Spotify.

This. Is. How. You. Lose. Customers.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cngann Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Unable to cast to Chromecast:

We'd like to enable a trace on your wife's Pandora account so we can get a better idea of what is happening.

To clarify, is her Pandora account the one that is connected to this Community profile? Or is her account the one that is the main account holder for your Premium Family plan?

Let me know.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Two songs playing at the same time with Android Auto:

Please try completely exiting the Pandora app on your phone using the steps below:

• On Android: Navigate to the Recent Apps menu and find Pandora by scrolling up from the bottom. Then, press the "X" on the top-right of the Pandora app, or swipe it left or right.
  • On iOS: Press the Home button twice to bring up the list of currently running apps. You may need to swipe the screen to the left or right until you find Pandora. Once you see Pandora, swipe the preview up, and it will disappear and fully close the app.

Then, make sure your phone is not connected to your vehicle via Bluetooth or USB and:

1. Launch Pandora on your phone before getting into the car and connecting to your vehicle.
  2. Connect to your vehicle via Bluetooth or USB.

Let me know how it goes.

Use your mobile device only when conditions allow and as permitted by applicable law.

0 Kudos

cngann
Local Performer

You are absolutely welcome to run the trace on both hers and my accounts.  She is the main account in the family plan.  

As for the Android Auto issue, I connect via WiFi hotspot in my car, a 2011 BMW M4, and I use the built-in Qi charging.  Wires are so 2020.

Thank you,

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cngann Thanks so much for getting back to us with that information. I've shared your feedback, account info, and device details with our engineering team on an internal ticket we have open for this issue. 

We appreciate you taking the time to report this and for your patience while this is investigated. 🎧

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?

dubbillionaire
Local Performer

I have this issue when trying to cast Pandora from my android phone (note 20) to my Shield TV it just opens the app and hangs on the Pandora logo blue screen forever then disconnects. I can never get it to work and have tried everything from reinstalling the app, deleting cache/data, rebooting from power disconnnect and system wipe.

None of the other apps have this problem with chromecast. I am thinking it has something to do with Pandora Premium as it does not load that screen when the app is opened from a casting device. It only worked once in the last 5 months since I had it.

Is there anything else I can do or is there something wrong with my account? I can open the Pandora app directly on the Shield and it plays my music fine but even with the app open and trying to cast from my phone it just goes back to the loading screen.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @dubbillionaire. 👋

Thanks so much for reporting this. I moved your post over to this existing thread: Unable to Cast to Chromecast

If you haven't already, you can also try running through the troubleshooting steps in my post here.

It looks like you're also in touch with a member from our User Support team via email and shared your mobile device info. They have reported your issue to our engineering team on your behalf. 🎧

0 Kudos

dubbillionaire
Local Performer

That s great in the long term but what do I do about it now. I have the latest version of the app on both devices. I have no issues with the mobile app but casting just won't work as it opens the pandora blue screen in the shield then drops connection.  I am on the same network so that's not the issue. I can cast any other apps to my shield, just not pandora. 

0 Kudos

JohnMizzay
Local Performer

Switch to Spotify.  I did.  Without the Chromecast feature working, Pandora is useless to me.

amcallis
Underground

Clearing out the Pandora App cache and storage fixed it for me on Android.

cantara256
Underground

I just switched to Spotify for the exact same reason: casting is completely broken. Spotify Connect works (nearly) flawlessly.

dubbillionaire
Local Performer

It works for exactly one session. I disconnected then tried again a few days later, same issue.

Yea I know but my collections and Playlist are so big now after 11 yrs of premium it's hard to give it up. Plus spotify doesn't allow you to shuffle stations to my current knowledge which is why I canceled them

mod edit: format
0 Kudos

theoctavist
Local Performer

I've tried on two phones 

Phone 1: moto xt2052 dl w/android 10

Pandora Build: 2108.1.1

Wiped data, , wiped cache, setup Chromecast again. Rebooted wifi. Updated wifi router firmware , power cycled the phone. Power cycled the Chromecast. Power cycled  the router . 

Phone 2 OnePlus8t 5g

Same as above. 

Spotify works fine but 50 percent of the  time I *prefer* Pandora and would like to see this error addressed. 

glyndon
Opening Act

Same problem here. Worked much better a month ago, but recently started saying "your session with <chromecast_device_name> has ended" immediately after choosing to cast a stream.

Google Pixel4xl
Verizon/Comcast
Android 11
App 2108.1.1

Chromecast and phone are on same WiFi LAN.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for providing those details about your devices and experiences, @glyndon @theoctavist. I've shared this information with our engineering team on your behalf. 🎧

0 Kudos

glyndon
Opening Act
Another possibly helpful datum:
If I use the Google Home device (the puck) to start a Pandora stream, it
works fine.
Then, if I look at the Chromecast device using the phone app, it shows
what's playing just like always.
Then, if I touch the "open Pandora" button at the bottom, it opens Pandora
and links it in to the now-playing stream, just as always.
The only thing I can't do from there is change to another 'station' within
Pandora.

So, I suspect the problem I'm seeing is a failure of the app to
successfully handoff an authenticated stream to Chromecast. Everything else
still seems to work as it did before.

--
Gary Dobbins

Ark123
Underground

I have the same problem. I have been casting Pandora with Google Chrome cast with different devices for years, and all of a sudden none of them will work on any of my Chromecasts.   Although I love Pandora, I won't spend a lot of time working through this and will move on to something else.   I don’t know where you go for technical help with Pandora.

glyndon
Opening Act

The main problem (for me at least) is that the Android app can't initiate cast.
Same failure on the phone and on an old tablet.

The web player on Chrome does almost work (hands off to Chromecast), but after part of a song it also fails.

I wish there was a way to know if someone is actually working this problem or not.

0 Kudos

Ark123
Underground
I got it to cast using a Lenovo laptop.

Sent from my iPad