cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Unable to Cast to Chromecast

Phade
Underground

Hey Everyone!

I have been happily casting Pandora to my Chromecast devices for years using my phone and tablet.  However, I have not been able to connect for the last few days to any of my Chromecast devices (Chromecast Audio, Chromecast Ultra).  Pandora will see the target device, attempt to connect, but then say, "Your session has ended" after a few seconds of silence.

I have attempted to fix it by restarting the devices and my phone (Samsung S10).  All devices are current with software updates.  Other casting services (Amazon) cast just fine from my phone to all Chromecast devices.  

What could be the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks and have a great day!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
64 Replies

Devon1966dcb
Local Performer

I can no longer cast pandora from my phone to my Vizio smart tv.. I've signed in and out of pandora. It began to recast, as it used to, but this was only temporary. Every other entity will cast from my phone to my smart tv. Pandora will not.  I've got fiber optic WI fi at the highest speed. Can't contact pandora due to no option to speak with tech. Will be forced to end my premium subscription shortly

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Devon1966dcb. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with casting. We have an internal ticket open with our engineering team about this issue. In the meantime, I moved your post over to this existing thread as it looks like you're using an Android device: Android: Unable to Cast to Chromecast

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number):
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Do any error messages appear when you attempt to cast / when the casting feature stops functioning?

Let me know as I'd like to share this with our engineering team. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

Mookpsu
Opening Act

I've been fighting this battle for years, started for me when I upgraded to Pandora Premium. It's a well know & well reported issue that Pandora seems to have no interest in fixing. If you've found a fix that actually worked please let me know. When I try to cast to my TV it freezes and then eventually disconnects. All other Chromecast enabled apps cast just fine so it's definitely on Pandora's end. I've lost count of how many times I was told the problem was being escalated to the engineering team which is code for you'll never hear back from usPandora.jpg

0 Kudos

Ark123
Underground
I have same issue. I canceled.

Sent from my iPad
0 Kudos

elpoofoo
Local Performer

I'm at a loss.

Cleared cache.  Force stopped.  Restart and attempt to connect to Chromecast.  Same error.

Cleared storage (wipes account info, basically resets the app).  Force stopped.  Restart and attempt to connect to Chromecast.  Same error.

Uninstalled and reinstalled from app store.  Restart and attempt to connect to Chromecast.  Same error.

Pixel 6 Pro

Casting works fine from Netflix and Amazon Music.  Pandora is apparently the only issue.

0 Kudos

Ark123
Underground
Everything else works for me, netflix, youtube. Issue is definitely with pandora. Any idea of some comparable music service?

Sent from my iPad
0 Kudos

glyndon
Opening Act

Works great in Spotify.
Same price for Premium.

0 Kudos

cantara256
Underground

Roon also works great

0 Kudos

Lyrajayne
Local Performer

I have been having this same problem with my Pandora account - I have been casting to my Google Home for years with no issues, but now Pandora is all but useless for me.  iTunes and Spotify cast just fine, the problem is clearly with Pandora.  I've followed all troubleshooting advice on this thread, but any attempt to play Pandora anywhere but my phone is just an endlessly frustrating 3-5 seconds of each song as it attempts to connect, has just silence, and then says "failed to connect", skips to the next song, repeat.  

I can confirm that after the app says that's it's failed to connect, the Google Home shows that Pandora is still linked, so I am also experiencing that partial handshake.  

Pixel 3

Android 11

Pandora 2112.1

I've barely used Pandora over the last months due to this - it wouldn't kill me to cancel over it, though it's hard to give up over a decade of history.  

0 Kudos

glyndon
Opening Act

I finally did cancel after waiting a few months for some kind of response beyond the automated-sounding "forwarded to the engineering team" thing. Nothing. Maybe they've all gone somewhere else and the last one out forgot to turn the servers off.

Sad, really. I like Pandora over all the others. But it seems to have fallen out of attention.

But now it works. I didn't change a thing, but decided to give it a try.

What to think?...

mod edit: format

Mookpsu
Opening Act

You're lucky. I just tried again after seeing your post and still no change

0 Kudos

Mookpsu
Opening Act

Connects but freezes

Pandora.jpg

0 Kudos

glyndon
Opening Act

Perhaps it's a server-side fix (versus an app update on our phones), and they haven't gotten it to all servers yet. I'd keep trying. This is hopeful.

0 Kudos

elpoofoo
Local Performer

It's been random for me.  Sometimes it connects and plays just fine.  Other times, there's just no way to get it to work and I have to play to an alternate device like Bluetooth speakers.  I finally got annoyed enough that I cancelled my Pandora subscription and switched to Spotify.

0 Kudos

Mookpsu
Opening Act

I was told back on 9/1 that the engineers are working on it. Guess they work really slow!Pandora Support.jpg

0 Kudos

Ark123
Underground

I tried it today and was able cast through chromecast as before.   Going to try it on free awhile before I reup.

glyndon
Opening Act

I found it working again, too, a couple weeks ago. But am already amidst trying some of the alternatives' free trials, just to escape the long-standing preferences I've established in Pandora (after many years of use, it seems to be playing mostly the same stuff and not weaving in enough new, even in 'discovery' mode on a 'radio' station). 

May eventually come back to Pandora, the jury is still out.

0 Kudos

Ark123
Underground
I’m going to try Apple Music. That supposedly will cast to Chromecast without jumping through a bunch of hoops like Amazon music. I am not going to subscribe to something requiring that I buy a whole new set of devices.

Sent from my iPad
0 Kudos

Mookpsu
Opening Act

So yesterday on a whim I tried moving my Pandora app on my tablet from the SD card back to internal storage and magically I was able to cast again. I was ecstatic, felt like the clock had turned back two+ years. Went to do it again today and it went back to freezing on my TV. Guess it was too good to be true

0 Kudos

cmorin543
Underground

I have an ongoing issue that began almost 6 months ago. When I attempt to cast from Android phone to my Google Home, I select the cast button and choose the device. The music stops and the music controls go gray, then a toast message appears at the bottom of the screen saying " your session with device has ended".  I can cast successfully from any other music app on my phone. I reached out to Pandora support and they said this was a known issue. They said to wait for a software update for the issue to be resolved. This was back in December. One day, I attempted to cast and it worked properly. Then a few days later it stopped again. It's been like this for the last 2 months on and off.  If I try opening the Google Home app and cast all audio to one of my speakers or displays, then open the Pandora app and play music, it will cast fine, but it casts all my phone audio rather than just music from Pandora.  I thought maybe it was an issue with my phone and I tried troubleshooting that with Google to no avail. I ended up getting a new phone a few months ago and that didn't seem to make a difference either. I also tried this from a tablet and ended up with the same results.  Is anyone else having anything similar happen?

0 Kudos