cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music plays without being prompted at random times

devmonkey22
Opening Act

Anyone else have their Pandora app on Android randomly start playing music after they paused it a while ago (some times ~15 minutes, if not hours later?) Of course it unpauses and blasts music at the worst times like work meetings or when I'm on the phone.

I've had this happen mostly on my Android Samsung Galaxy tablet, but now this morning on my Galaxy S8 phone with Pandora version 1910.1 (Android Tuner 1910.1RC12).  Strangely, the phone started playing music while I was already listening to Pandora over the web (guessing it hadn't detected the "other" listener yet.

My best guess is its like the "Pause Live TV" cable box feature where if you pause too long and the buffer fills, it automatically unpauses because it runs out of memory and needs to start playing the recorded content.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

Labels (1)
128 Replies

SMFulton3
Local Performer

This problem appears to have become endemic since it was first reported here 11 months ago.  My wife's Galaxy Note 8 will play Pandora randomly at full volume, at any time of the day or night, regardless of the fact that Bluetooth is turned off (which should rule out activation by the car) and that the phone volume can be both turned down and muted.  It's making Pandora unusable.

When I was managing editor of Betanews, I might have run a story with the headline, "Random Play Epidemic Renders Pandora Unusable on Android."  I suppose I could still pull a few strings.

Phone data:

Model: SM-950U Rev. 1.0

Kernel version: 4.4.153

Build #:  PPR1.980610.011.N950USQS8DTG2

Pandora version:  2008.1

Is there this much of a mystery surrounding this app, because I'd hate to begin recommending that people uninstall it?

Scott M. Fulton, III

0 Kudos

jrrinnc
Local Performer

This has been happening more and more for me.  It has gotten very annoying and even embarrassing when it happens in public.  I thought at first I might have been hitting something when it's in a pocket, but it's doing it spontaneously just sitting on its own.  Here's the info requested:

Model: Samsung S9+
Carrier: Verizon (phone unlocked)
Android version (Settings > About Phone): 10
Pandora version: 2008.1

0 Kudos

Gurlyd02
Local Performer

This happens to me too, it's really obnoxious. I have to keep my volume low so it's not disruptive.

Pandora version 2008.1

Android 10

T-Mobile

Samsung S10+

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey, @CMUL @SMFulton3 @jrrinnc @Gurlyd02. 👋

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused, and I completely understand where you're coming from. This issue is definitely on our engineering team's radar and they're currently working on it. 

Your device info and feedback has been shared on the open ticket we have internally. 

Thanks so much for reporting this, and for sharing those details. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator

Let's talk music in Community Chat

0 Kudos

JasonPokines
Local Performer

Just throwing my hat (and info) into the ring, since it just happened again on my Pixel 3:

• Carrier: Verizon
  • Android version: 10
  • Build number: QQ3A.200805.001
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone): Not noted.

Additionally:

• Are you connected to WiFi or cellular data when this is happening?
    It happens when connected to WiFi for sure. I'm not away from WiFi often enough to know if it happens on cellular data.
  • Have you identified any other patterns or notable information?
    Only happens after I've disconnected from Android Auto without pausing Pandora first. Delay could be a few minutes up to an hour or two. The app is isn't "running in the background." The only way I'm able to stop it, aside from turning the phone off, is to tell Google Assistant to "stop."
  • Do you have any Bluetooth accessories like speakers, smartwatches, or a car connected to your phone?
    Yes; Fossil hybrid smartwatch, Panasonic "link2cell" landline phones at home, Ford Focus Sync 3, personal laptop, Pokemon Go Plus, Daydream controller.
  • Have you used Bluetooth or cast recently?
    Almost constantly, except while at work.
Jason Pokines
0 Kudos

bobc4d
Local Performer

I have an S20+ and same thing happened to me. I use Android Auto and some random time, 10-30 minutes after I unplug, Pandora will start up. it does not show on recent/running apps. only way to stop it is restarting phone.  it does not show up on running apps and only way to stop it is to restart my Samsung phone. is it an android issue or Pandora not releasing?

mod edit: format
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @JasonPokines @bobc4d. 👋

Thanks so much for this helpful feedback. I've passed these details over to the appropriate party. In the meantime, I'm sorry for any trouble this has caused. 

Hope to see ya'll around the community space more often! 🎧

0 Kudos

Steven_Porter
Local Performer

I'm having the same issue on my unlocked Pixel 4a on Verizon. My Premium account just started playing by itself, as it has been doing for a few weeks at least. I had just cleared all notifications and apps, locked my phone and set it down, and then not even 1 minute it started playing music from Pandora. I often pull out my phone out of my pocket to discover that music has been quietly playing in my pocket for who knows how long. I thought it was an issue with my old phone, but since getting the Pixel and discovering this, it's clearly related to the Pandora bug.

I'm running Android 10 and Pandora 2008.1

I often use bleutooth headphones (Taotronics SoundSurge 46) and my car's aftermarket (Pioneer S600BS) but both are off and out of range often when this happens.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora

Hey there! 👋

We have received reports that some listeners are still encountering their music playing without being prompted at random times after updating to 2009.1 or later, and the troubleshooting steps don't help resolve this issue. We've informed our engineering team of this issue.

Please post your comment in this thread: Music plays without being prompted after 2009.1 or later

Our engineering team is aware of this issue. Feel free to include the following info in your post so that we can share this on the internal ticket we have open for reports on app version 2009.1 or later.

• Model:
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version:
    • If you can open Pandora, go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the version number.
    • If you can't open Pandora: from Android Home screen > Android Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Find Pandora

Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?

Thanks so much for your help with this. 🎧

View solution in original post