cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sony TV - Error Message: Internet browser will be closed due to internal issues"

scioto
Local Performer

i have a Sony TV model: KDL-55W900A and it has an integrated Pandora app within the TV. when accessing the app it loads on the TV and then the message" Internet browser will be closed due to internal issues" appears preventing access to the Pandora app that is playing in the background

mod edit: changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

TannerPandora

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all your patience while we investigated this issue. We've just been informed that Sony has pushed a fix for this issue to their TV's. 

We now believe this has been resolved. If you're still running into trouble, please let us know. 

Thank you!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
54 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @scioto, thanks for posting to community! I've made a new post for your issue because this sounds a little different that what was happening in the previous post: Sony TV - Error Message: Internet browser will be closed due to internal issues"

I’ve asked our User Support team to enable a trace on your account to help us better understand what’s happening. I'd like to start with some standard troubleshooting for your Sony:

First make sure your TV has the latest firmware by checking for a new update. If an update is available, try loading Pandora again once the update is complete.

If you're still having the same problem, then please try a few standard network troubleshooting steps:

• Try connecting directly via an Ethernet cable rather than using Wi-Fi (if you have this option on your device), and see if that helps.
  • Try rebooting your modem and router and restarting the device.
  • Try removing and re-adding the app (if this is possible on your device).

Let me know how it goes.

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Campbelljay
Local Performer

I too have the same problem, Sony KDL-60W630B. I have performed all the suggested steps. In addition, I reset the TV to factory settings. Still have the problem. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @Campbelljay, thanks for posting to community! Sorry for any trouble with this. 

I appreciate you trying the steps and letting me know your experience. I've passed your info along to our engineers.

I would also recommend reaching out to Sony Support as well since individual manufacturers are usually responsible for the implementation of the Pandora app. They may be able to provide more detailed support steps for your Sony model.

Thanks for being part of community! 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

luckyfrog13
Local Performer

Having same problem software is up to date  uninstalled app /reinstalled still doing it

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@luckyfrog13 Our support team has enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what's happening.

*For this trace to be useful, we'll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps once more.*

Please take a look at @TannerPandora's message above, and let us know if you continue to experience issues with this after running through the troubleshooting steps he provided.

0 Kudos

beccatn
Local Performer

I'm having the same issue.  I've restored to factory setting, have lan setting, and downloaded app again.

0 Kudos

kfranken8
Local Performer

I have a BRAVIA KDL-48W590B bought new at Costco in 2013.

We have always had high-speed WiFi internet and have only run the built-in Netflix and Pandora apps. Since early April 2020, the Pandora app began experiencing the same error as described on this site and MANY other websites.

When I open the Pandora app, the app loads but TV immediately displays the following message: "internet browser will be closed due to an internal error". The Pandora picture is greyed out and still slightly visible in the background and the sound is still working, but I cannot access the Pandora app to like a song or even change the station. Like everyone else, I ran through all the self-troubleshooting steps to no avail. I have followed the troubleshooting steps on the support website (i.e. disable java script, cookie setting, delete all cookies; update software; unplug/disconnect, use a wired ethernet cable connection, etc.) and none have worked. I see a lot of internet posts about this error but have found no solutions.

I online chatted with a Sony tech support rep on April 11, 2020 and ran through the same steps I did before by myself but that didn’t fix the problem.

The steps we did are listed at

https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B00004mzXoYSAU/has-anyone-that-have-hulu-received-the-f...

"Note: Each of these steps may resolve the issue, so play an internet video after each step to check if the issue is resolved.

Disable the Java Script and Cookie Setting of the TV.
On the supplied remote control, press the HOME button.
Scroll to Applications or All Apps.
Run the www.Internet Browser app.
Press the Options button and select Browser settings.
Set Java Script to Disable or Off.
Set Cookie Setting to Disable or Off.
Scroll down to Delete All Cookies or Clear Cookies
Select YES.
Perform a software update: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00028577.
Perform a power reset.
Power off the TV.
Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.
Leave the TV unplugged for one minute.
Plug the power cord back in.
Power on the TV.
Perform a Factory Reset: https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00032661."

Again, I did all these steps myself and again with the 1st Sony rep, but none worked.

So, I first chatted online with a Sony technical support rep, who escalated to next level of Sony tech support. The online chat rep said another rep will call me in 1-2 business days. The Sony escalated rep called me to troubleshoot but also could not resolve the issue, so the rep escalated to next level of Sony tech support, who called me to troubleshoot but who also could not resolve the issue

The 2nd Sony rep called me and we ran through the same steps as before and also did a factory reset but that didn’t fix the problem. It actually made it worse, since before the reset, the sound still worked on the Pandora app, but after the reset, no more sound.

The 2nd Sony rep also had me select manual entry of IP addresses, and enter different numbers, which I did, and this attempted fix didn't work.

This proposed fix is listed at

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/you-tube-internet-browser-will-close-due-to-an-internal-er...

"For anyone with this issue, it appears that Sony/Opera are forcing you to allow ad.doubleclick connections. Usually if you have a gateway level ad blocking enabled (Diversion etc), connections to these sites will intensionally be routed to a localhost. Very annoying and not acceptable in my opinion. However, it can easily be resolved, by manually setting your DNS servers on your TV (in Network Settings, Custom Connection, Manual IP address) to Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 servers for example, rather than your own gateway. This will allow ad.doubleclick connections and not create the YouTube app to overlay the error. Hope this helps."

but didn't work for me.

Then rep said to call Pandora bec it *may* be a Pandora issue, at which point I said no, this was a Sony TV issue based on so many Sony TV owners complaining about the same issue and with many different apps. I said routing me to Pandora would not work since Pandora would say this is a Sony issue, of course.

The 2nd Sony rep said they may call me again. I said that this issue has been a known issue for many years

After 1 Sony tech support chat and 2 Sony escalated tech support phone calls, the problem still exists with no solution in sight. Hours spent on this…all wasted.

Countless attempts at self-troubleshooting this known issue as evidenced by the many websites that show posts of Sony customers complaining about experiencing the same issue, yet Sony has no solution. Sony FAIL!

A Google search for "internet browser will be closed due to internal error" results in many results.

Sony has no fix for it, which is why all websites and all Sony tech supports chats and calls fail to resolve the issue, it's just Sony can't come right out and admit and say that. Pathetic. Sony should be able to release a patch or update to fix the issue, not pretend and falsely say they are working on resolving this. This is built-in obsolescence.

Other sites that discus this error include

https://www.askmefast.com/How_to_fix_sony_bravia_netflix_content_error-qna403879.html#q45877

"I solved this problem recently (10/2010) by updating my TVs firmware. My TV (sony KDL 40EX700) is configured not to update by itself. So I downloaded onto a flash drive and updated the TV. Netflix is working now."

This issue existed back in 2010…10 years ago!

And how does one update TV firmware (as opposed to software)? My TV software was already updated as confirmed by the Sony escalated reps.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/you-tube-internet-browser-will-close-due-to-an-internal-er...

shows the error occurred in YouTube app.

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00006zSttUSAS/sony-internet-browser-will-be-closed-due-t...

shows the error occurred in the Amazon Prime Video app:

"Chuck L.

a year ago
I began getting this message about a month ago. Eventually, a Sony technician called me and said my Bravia TV (an XBR "smart" TV) was made in 2014 and currently doesn't have enough storage to handle the Amazon Prime Video app. He said if the factory reset and disabling Java Script and deleting cookies doesn't free up enough storage (it didn't), the only solution (at least for my model) was to get some kind of media device (e.g., BluRay, Roku, PlayStation, Amazon Fire Stick, etc.) in order to use the storage capacity on those devices. I purchased an Amazon Fire Stick, and have not had the problem since then (I've watched about 15 episodes on Amazon Prime)."

I plugged in my Firestick on this same Sony TV and successfully run Pandora app on it with no error msg. But there is no excuse for Sony not being able to fix this defect and error in their products.

Like other Sony TV owners, I am resigned to Sony not being able or willing to admit there is a problem that deserves fixing, so I cannot use the Sony TV as I have for years.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@beccatn Sorry to hear that.

Since it sounds like you already ran through the troubleshooting steps @TannerPandora suggested in his message above, let's try removing the device association from your account and running through the setup process again to see if that helps.

To begin, I had our support team remove the device association from your account. This will automatically sign you out once this change takes effect. Please be patient as this may not happen instantaneously.

Next, click here to select steps specific to your device in order to set up Pandora once more.

If you do not see your device listed, click here for general activation steps.

Let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos

beccatn
Local Performer

Can you please remove the Sony device associate with my account again.  I didn't follow the steps correctly when signing back in and I'm getting the same internal error message again.  thank you

0 Kudos

MDK1
Local Performer

I have just changed my set top box for my cable provider and found that Pandora now has this same issue. Worked fine before. I have a Sony Bravia KDL48W600B. I have talked to Sony and they say it is a problem with the Pandora app and that they are trying to get a resolution from Pandora. I am wondering if it has something to do with the Sony browser which is dismal when trying to use their web app. 

0 Kudos

RoadKingSal
Local Performer

My Sony smart TV model KDL40W600B, manufactured in 2014, streamed Pandora without errors for several years. Recently the following error :Internet browser will be closed due to internal error: appears across the screen after Pandora loads and begins playing. The error comment remains regardless of everything I have tried.  I contacted Sony tech, who reports their tech team have determined it is an issue with Pandora & NOT Sony.  The Internet browser will be closed due to internal error prevents my changing channels, liking / disliking, basically eliminates all normal Pandora functionality, on one of my TVs, specifically SONY model KDL40W600B.  Looking for a solution.  Anyone out there in Pandora land - what say you?

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @RoadKingSal. 👋

I moved your post over to this thread as we've seen a few mentions of this error message happening with Sony TVs recently. I’ve enabled a trace on your account to help us better understand what’s happening. For this trace to be useful, we’ll need you to run through our troubleshooting steps below.

++

I would recommend making sure your device has the latest firmware by checking for a new update. If an update is available, try loading Pandora again once the update is complete.

Please also try a few standard network troubleshooting steps:

• Try connecting directly via an Ethernet cable rather than using Wi-Fi (if you have this option on your device), and see if that helps.
  • Try rebooting your modem and router and restarting the device.
  • Try removing and re-adding the app (if this is possible on your device).

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

jiji
Local Performer

Hello, I have a sony Bravia with the Pandora app built in and it always worked fine until last week when it started showing the  same error message that others describe “internet browser will be closed due to internal issue” The app works fine in my other TVs (not sony).

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @jiji thanks for posting. Sorry to hear this

Can you let me know the model number and year of your Sony Bravia?

Thanks!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi everyone!

I'm working with an engineer on this issue. I've been asked to follow up with some specific questions on your experience. 

1. How long after the app starts up does the message occur? Does the message appear at startup or after the music has started?
  2. Does the music start playing and continue to play during the message?

We appreciate the help and your continued patience while we investigate. 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Andyppandy
Local Performer

The message pops after the music starts playing. You see Pandora loading and then whatever channel you had on last will play but the message pops up over it and doesn’t allow you to click anything except to exit. @TannerPandora 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for the follow up @Andyppandy! Appreciate the details. I'll pass this along. 

Thanks for your patience!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

jiji
Local Performer

Model KDL 48W600B. Year 2015

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jiji It looks like @TannerPandora is currently working on this with one of our engineers.

Can you please follow up with the additional information he requested in his message below?

Thanks for all your help with this!

0 Kudos