cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Leveling

criawildflower
Local Performer

Is there a way to set Pandora to play all songs at the same volume level?  I sometimes get very quiet songs followed by loud songs.  It is very disruptive to have to continually adjust the volume.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

billgr0248
Local Performer

Consider this a vote for some sort of volume leveling during playback.

View solution in original post

24 Replies

TannerPandora

Hi @criawildflower thanks for the feedback! We don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast.

As a result, some songs sound louder than others. However, we do use the Replay Gain technique that encodes a fixed volume adjustment into the mp3/mp4 header so that the actual player (web browser, phone or device) can adjust volume just as the track begins playing.

If there are vast differences, it could also be due to different instrumentation or arrangements causing different apparent levels of volume where the actual decibel levels are the same.

If you'd like to see an equalizer on Pandora, I would recommend visiting our Feature Request Board with your feedback. From here you can post new ideas that you'd like to see on Pandora or like the ideas of other listners. 

Thanks again for posting! Hope to see you around more often. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

billgr0248
Local Performer

Consider this a vote for some sort of volume leveling during playback.

plumbob612
Local Performer

I love Pandora....but has anyone else noticed that there is a great difference in volume...from one song to the next. If there is one thing I wish Pandora would fix...and it should be somewhat easy to do...is to use compression, or limiting, to keep the output volume at a steady level.

I look forward to your comments.

TannerPandora

Welcome @plumbob612! Thanks for posting to community. I've moved your message to an existing thread: Sound leveling

I'd take a look at my accepted solution above more info on sound leveling on Pandora. I would also recommend visiting the Feature Request if this is a feature you'd like to see on Pandora. You can find it here

Don't forget to ❤️the ideas you want to see. The more votes an idea gets the more likely that it will be looked at for our roadmap at some point. 

Thanks again for being part of community!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

boulderskies
Opening Act

that answer was really lacking. but it was interesting to learn about the mp3/mp4 header data (what possible use to us was it though?).

as for the suggestion to add a Pandora volume leveler function, i have yet to see a Feature Request implemented.

so, basically...thanks for nothing.

scott

ricegl
Local Performer

This is a deal breaker for me. I am on a 3 mo. trial and will not renew.

MusicFan12312
Local Performer

Pandora says "We don't alter music equalization on Pandora from how it appears on the original releases, unlike terrestrial radio, which compresses the entire broadcast. As a result, some songs sound louder than others"

I just canceled my subscription. When Pandora figures out how to fix the volume so I'm not chasing the volume between each song, I might be back.

Ebol5
Underground
  • Like so many have complained about.  If Pandora doesn't do something about volume leveling soon  I too will be canceling my subscription. This can and should be fixed. Makes it impossible to listen without constant attention.. 

cockerdogs
Local Performer

Can't be fixed in a car without hardware addition or phone app with sound leveling.  Can be fixed on PC with software such as PAS graphic equalizer studio with sound leveling.  Don't know what would work with Apple on desktop or android/apple phones.

Billyg1
Underground

If pandora insists on controlling the volume I listen to my music, should I eliminate rock and roll so I don’t upset this controlling **ahem** or just delete it?

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Billyg1 I moved your post over to this existing thread: Sound leveling

Check out the accepted solution to this thread for more information about volume differences between songs.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

Weed
Underground

NO NO NO -  Its simple -  Its not different instruments or arrangements -  It is primarily when it was recorded.  Older recordings were at a lower level.  It looks like about 3 different levels over the past 40 years.

Please contact me, I am desperate!  I have so much invested into my stations, I would hate to go elsewhere, but I will.  

Please contact me @ [email ]

Thank you,

Gary 

Moderator Edit: Personal Information

TannerPandora

Hi @Weed! Welcome to community!

Can you explain your experience a little more? Are you listening to Pandora on a computer or on a device?

1. If you are on a computer, are you listening from:
    • A Mac or Windows computer?
    • Our website, or the desktop app? If you're listening from our website, what browser are you using?
  2. If you are on a device, what is the make and model?

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Weed
Underground

Hello -
I am streaming my PANDORA via ALEXA in the evenings / night & Squeezebox
Radio during the day. My primary player is called Squeezebox Touch.
*I have to tell you, the inconsistent volume problem is not the player, not
the artist, not instrumental verses voice, it is primarily when it was
recorded. *
I will use John Prine as an example, his earliest albums play soft compared
to the latest stuff. It is across the board, all artists.
So, If I listen to music from the 70's, it will be softer than the 80's and
again, louder in the 90's to current.
Here is the million dollar idea for you - add volume leveling to the
premium PANDORA accounts and watch how many people like me upgrade.
Otherwise I have no reason to upgrade. In fact, if it doesn't get fixed
soon, I will move on to a new streaming service. I would hate to do that,
I enjoy and have "fine tuned" many stations on PANDORA.
Please follow up with me so that if it is possible I don't jump ship.
Honestly, you guys have been making excuses about this for years, and I
have had enough. If you cannot do it on your own, perhaps the people that
control ALEXA could help? I have been with PANDORA since they took over
LAUNCHCAST.
Good Luck!
Gary [last name]- LAUNCHCAST REFUGEE
[Email]

TannerPandora

@Weed  Definitely understand where you're coming from and have noticed similar behaviour on my own account.

There is currently a feature request for more volume settings under - Sound balancing/ More Volume Settings - the best way to get ideas like this heard is by voting (tapping the heart) for them in our Feature Request board. To learn more about feature request suggestion visit: "How do requests become features?"

Thanks for being part of community!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

Weed
Underground

Buddy, you have drunk the kool aid- They know about the problem, and are
not smart enough to figure it out. I could help you guys.
"They" are not going to fix the problem and it became 100% clear to me by
your response. This has been a problem for far too long. Enough!
Thank you,
Gary [last name]

Pascualflores56
Local Performer

[email]

0 Kudos

Itzy1210
Local Performer

I agree.  Many people have requested sound/volume leveling. Your competitors have figured this out. Tired of having to adjust the volume with almost every change of track. Please fix!

Sound/ volume leveling is important. Your rationale is feeble. Your competitors have figured this out. Many requests for this in the community. We are tired of having to adjust the volume with almost every track change. This is esp annoying on echo and other streaming devices.
Please fix this.

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

0 Kudos

FS_3
Local Performer

yes this needs to be fixed. Doesn't happen with Sirius? very annoying to have to change volume on radio with each track.

0 Kudos