cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS: Unable to control volume over AirPlay

JDJD
Local Performer

After the most recent update, I can no longer reliably control the volume of Pandora when steaming over AirPlay from my iOS devices. When I connect to my Apple TV 4K (the AirPlay hub in my sound system), the sound comes out at 100% and cannot be turned down. This was NOT an issue prior to the latest update. The only temporary fix I found was to uninstall Pandora, then reinstall it... It will then work properly until I shut it down; then back to 100% volume and no control. All of my other streaming apps and Apple Music work perfectly fine with volume control available. This is frustrating enough to consider dropping Pandora after many years of use... Please help!

mod edit: changing title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @jeff-f. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the volume while using the AirPlay feature. Thanks so much for sending over those screenshots.

Just to clarify, when you open the app / unlock your phone, (not from the lockscreen) are you able to control the volume? Or, does the same behavior occur?

If you haven't already, would you mind running through the iOS troubleshooting steps while I have a trace enabled on your Pandora account? This will help us better understand what's happening in case we need to report this to our engineering team. You can find the steps here: iOS Troubleshooting

Let me know how it goes, and whether you're able to use the physical volume on your mobile device. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What song fits your mood today?
Check out new tunes this week: New Music: Picks of the Week (04.22.24) 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
28 Replies

TannerPandora

Thanks for posting to community @JDJD. Sorry to hear this about AirPlay. 

I would like to report this issue to our engineers. Could you tell me more about your device(s)?

• Device & Generation: (e.g. iPhone 5c, iPod 6th gen, iPad Air2, etc.)
  • iOS version: (Settings > General > About > Version)
  • Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Thanks for your help! 👍🏻

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

P-Factor
Local Performer

Same problem.  I use Pandora to play over Airplay to a dedicated appleTV connected to my house house audio stereo amplifier.  I used to be able to control the volume with either the on-screen slider or the side buttons on my iPhone.  Now it plays at 100% volume which in my case is VERY LOUD!! I’m used to this problem with YouTube so I’m always cautious to walk over and lower the volume manually on the amp when playing music videos off of YouTube but Pandora is my go-to.  I’ll have to put Pandora on the back burner until this is figured out.

iphone 8
iOS 13.3.1

Pandora 2003.1

mod edit: content edit

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thanks for posting to community and for letting me know @P-Factor. I've added your info for my report to our engineers. We appreciate your patience in the meantime! 👍🏻

++

Just an FYI: I went ahead and edited your original post to fix the typo error and remove the second post you made. Helps to keep things decluttered - if this thread starts to grow more.

You can edit your posts on your end to if you'd like to add more info or fix any typos. 

Thanks again we appreciate you! 🎧

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

JDJD
Local Performer

IPhone XS Max; iOS ver. 13.3.1

Pandora version 2003.2

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thank you @JDJD! ❤️

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

ercaco923
Local Performer

I’m having the same issue. No volume control from my iPhone 10x. All other streaming apps work correctly. Nothing but trouble with last update. First a notification that would never go away that I finally fixed and then this. Just like others, Pandora is my go-to. Please fix this soon! Thanks pandora. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @ercaco923. 👋

Sorry for the continued trouble! I've shared your feedback with our engineering team.

Could you also provide the following so that I can report more details over to them?

• Pandora version: (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

Thanks so much for your help with this! 📲

0 Kudos

ercaco923
Local Performer

iOS version 13.3.1

pandora version 2003.2

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks, @ercaco923! This info has been passed along. 

Appreciate your patience while the team investigates this issue! 🎧

0 Kudos

Cubist
Local Performer

Pandora,

I’m experiencing the same issue.

When streaming Pandora to my Apple TV Gen3, the volume control on my iPhone 11 Pro (iOs v13.4.1) no longer works. Neither the slide bar on the screen, nor the push buttons on the side of the iPhone work. I’ve been streaming Pandora to my Apple TV for at least 5 years, and I’ve never had this issue before.

Meanwhile, when streaming Pandora to an Airport Express (Gen 2) on a secondary network in my house, the volume control continues to work properly. Perhaps this additional information will be helpful.

I look forward to a resolution.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Cubist
Local Performer

Note: in summary, I am using:

Pandora v 2004.1

iPhone 11 Pro.

IOs v 13.4.1

Apple TV Gen3

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Thank for the info @Cubist! I've added your info to our ticket. 

We appreciate your patience in the meantime. ❤️

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

hrvjet
Local Performer

Same exact issue as above. Both on ipad and iphone

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @hrvjet. 👋

Thanks for letting us know about this.

Could you also provide the following so that I can report more details over to engineering?

• Exact model of your iPad and iPhone device (Gen 6, iPhone XS Max)

Appreciate your help with this!

0 Kudos

tomh
Local Performer

I have the same problem, working perfectly until recently. The uninstall/reinstall option does seems to work. This is a deal breaker for me. I am currently using a trial version of the premium service to compare it to Apple and Spotify. I actually prefer Pandora but not with this limitation. Device iPhone XR, Apple TV model A1625, tvOS ver. 13.4.5, Pandora ver. 2004.2.1

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @tomh Thanks for posting and sorry to hear this. 

I've passed your info along to our engineers who are working on this. Please keep an eye out on this thread for updates on this issue. 

In the meantime, I've asked our user support team to enable a trace on your account. Would you mind uninstalling and reinstalling the app for me. 

To do that:

Please note: Pandora Premium listeners may need to re-download some of their offline content after reinstalling the app. 

1. Hold down the Pandora icon on your Home screen until all the icons start "shaking."
  2. Then tap the tiny "x" that appears in the upper left of the Pandora icon, and confirm that you want to delete the app.
  3. Then re-install Pandora via the App Store on your device.

Thank you! 

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

P-Factor
Local Performer

Whatever you guys changed, it works ok now.  I forgot about the malfunction and started up airplay like normal and happy to hear it NOT playing at FULL VOLUME!

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks so much for the follow up, @P-Factor.

Glad to hear you're back to listening without any issues. 

Happy listening! 🎶

0 Kudos

jeff-f
Underground

Hi,

I have the same issue. I just noticed it today, but I don't believe I have streamed to this particular Apple TV for a few weeks now.

iOS 14.4.2 / iPone X / Pandora version 2103.1

Thanks!

Regards,

Jeff

Adding some screen shots...

Volume control is "grayed" outVolume control is "grayed" outNo volume controlNo volume control

As would be expected, the physical volume on the phone does not change the volume either.

mod edit: format

0 Kudos