cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop: Sound Mutes but Song Timer Continues

Rickta
Local Performer

A similar fault is happening with me. I'm listening on an iMac. When I open Pandora sound is on only for a few minutes then the sound mutes, but in all appearances the music is still playing, the sound icon isn't muted, and the song time indicator is moving. The only way I found to get the sound back on is to close and restart Pandora, or change the station. Please advise on how I might resolve this. Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @Rickta. 👋

I moved your post over to the Desktop forum to keep the community space organized.

How are you listening when this happens?

• Are you using the Pandora Desktop App for Mac computers?
  • Or, are you using a web browser? If so, which browser?
  • Have any error messages popped up? What does it say?

In the meantime, here are some good steps to try out to see if it helps resolve your issue:

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

bwydra
Local Performer

Thanks I'll try it

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds good, @bwydra.

Feel free to let me know how it goes, and whether those steps help. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

Dukey
Local Performer

Pandora not playing on my PC with Firefox and Windows 10.

My account works fine on the iPhone. But on the PC I hit the play button and no sound, though I can tell the song is playing.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Dukey I moved your post over to this existing thread: Desktop: Sound Mutes but Song Timer Continues

Here are a few things to check:

Pandora has a separate volume control. Make sure it isn't all the way down, the volume control is located in the bottom right corner of the Pandora page.

If that's not it, make sure you are plugged into the main speaker outputs of your sound card. Sometimes there are two outputs. Pandora may only play from one of them on machines with some sound drivers. Updated drivers have fixed this for many listeners.

If on a Windows machine, make sure that the "Wave Balance" volume is set at least 50% on your advanced volume control window. This is accessible by double-clicking the speaker in the lower-right corner of your screen.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

If this doesn't help, I recommend running through the following troubleshooting steps: Firefox Troubleshooting

Let me know how it goes.

0 Kudos

cherrylward
Local Performer

Hewlett Packard desktop -- no error messages, the music just stops yet the dots are still moving as if the music is still playing.  This is occurring on every station.  The music plays for a few minutes and stops as described above.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cherrylward Could you tell me a bit more about what is happening?

Are you listening from:

• Our website, or the desktop app? If you're listening from our website, what browser are you using?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

cherrylward
Local Performer
It seems to be ok now. Thanks for your response.

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cherrylward Glad to hear things are back up and running again.

If this continues to be an issue down the line, please make sure to reach back out to us and let us know.

Thanks for listening!

0 Kudos

shawnah
Local Performer

When playing Pandora on my computer or laptop, the sound will stop but the bar tracking the song progress continues. It will move on to the next song but the audio never comes back. If I refresh immediately, the song continues. If I wait a bit, it refreshes to a new song, which plays and then will stop as mentioned above. 

The other programs most commonly running when this occurs are Gmail, Google Drives, Calendar, Sheets, and Docs. I do not have any other audio playing programs running. The internet is not having difficulties with connectivity, and I have been on different networks. 

Feedback is greatly appreciated. I have Pandora Premium and if I didn't use it on my phone so much during work commutes, I'd cancel the subscription. 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @shawnah! Thanks for posting.

I moved your message over to an existing thread in our Desktop board: Sound Mutes but Song Timer Continues

Does this only happen on web or the desktop app too?

In the meantime, I recommend trying some of the troubleshooting steps that @AlyssaPandora has suggested above. You can find the steps here.

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

shawnah
Local Performer

It happens on the web. I am unable to download the desktop app on my work computer. I have followed the troubleshooting suggestions of @AlyssaPandora and do not have any of the mentioned issues from Chrome. 

0 Kudos

jeff8009
Local Performer

Using Chrome, clearing the cache and restarting and the Browser version of Pandora will lose sound as the song continues to play.  

This just started happening a few weeks ago.  I have been using the same system, same browse, same anti virus program and same firewall, log in and settings for years.   Now, all of a sudden, via the desktop app or the Chrome browser, the sound stops, but the song continues.   Honestly sounds like a server issue to me.

Please let me know if there is anything you can do for me.   I started to switch over to Amazon Music, but want to come back to Pandora as it is the better program.

Regards

Jeff

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi @jeff8009 👋 Thanks for posting!

It seems like you already ran through Chrome Troubleshooting Steps, but still experiencing this issue.

Does this issue only happen on your Chrome browser? I suggest trying a different browser like Firefox or Edge to see if this is a browser-related issue. 

In addition, if this issue is happening on your desktop app too, please run through our Desktop Troubleshooting steps to see if this helps.

+++

However, if the issue is persistent in all areas, would you mind answering the following questions:

• If you're on a computer what is your make & model? (PC, Mac)
  • Who is your internet provider?
  • Are you using a VPN?
  • Do you have an Ad-Blocker installed?

Thanks for sharing and let us know how it goes!

Gerald | Community Moderator
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos