cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't "Search and play anything" with Plus

Shadb222
Local Performer

Why do I still get commercials when I select a specific song to play? For paying you guys every month there's absolutely no reason I shouldn't be able to listen to whatever I want to anytime commercial-free. I'll simply switch paid music services if this can't be fixed.

Moderator edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Shadb222 Our support team has confirmed that you're currently subscribed to Pandora Plus, not Pandora Premium.

In the past, free listeners and Pandora Plus subscribers were only able to look for artists and tracks in order to create radio stations.

However, we've updated your experience so that you have the ability to listen to content on-demand, without being a Pandora Premium subscriber.

If you're seeing ads, it's most likely because you're triggering a complimentary session of Pandora Premium without realizing it.

Basically, if you search for and select the name of an artist, or track, or album, you should be brought to a "backstage page" where you can either create a radio station or press play.

If you press play you indicate that you'd like to listen to that content right away (or "on-demand"). Since only Pandora Premium subscribers can listen on-demand, you will either see an ad for Pandora Premium, or be prompted to watch a video ad to unlock a complimentary session of Pandora Premium.

Keep in mind that upgrading to Pandora Premium or accepting a complimentary session of Pandora Premium is completely optional; you can close the ad and we'll create a station for you to listen to instead (if one is available).

Should you decide to accept a complimentary session of Pandora Premium, rest assured that you won't be billed; because the additional cost of these sessions is covered by the advertisement, your account will return to your regular service automatically when the session expires, and you won't be charged any Pandora Premium fees.

Hope this helps explain. Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎶

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
60 Replies

Mrskarma757
Local Performer

I purchased Pandora Plus, which says I can search and play any song I would like. Every time I try to click on the song I'd like to listen to, it tells me to watch an ad to get pandora premium. I've closed out the app and reopened it and I restarted my phone and it's still doing it. When I go into my subscriptions tab it's saying I have pandora plus but still not getting any of the features. 

Haverfordwest
Opening Act

@Mrskarma757 Pandora Plus only gives you no ads for stations and offline listening. If you have Plus and you want to listen to a specific song or album, you have to listen to an ad first. Then it gives you a period of time where you can listen to what you want without upgrading. When the session ends, you back to Plus. 

If you want to listen to whatever you want at any time, you'll need to get Premium. 

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Mrskarma757 Nice to see you around the community!

The information @Haverfordwest provided is correct - the ability to stream content on demand (without being prompted to watch an ad first) is only an option with a Pandora Premium subscription.

For a breakdown of the different subscription types we currently offer, you can view this page.

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Shadb222 Our support team has confirmed that you're currently subscribed to Pandora Plus, not Pandora Premium.

In the past, free listeners and Pandora Plus subscribers were only able to look for artists and tracks in order to create radio stations.

However, we've updated your experience so that you have the ability to listen to content on-demand, without being a Pandora Premium subscriber.

If you're seeing ads, it's most likely because you're triggering a complimentary session of Pandora Premium without realizing it.

Basically, if you search for and select the name of an artist, or track, or album, you should be brought to a "backstage page" where you can either create a radio station or press play.

If you press play you indicate that you'd like to listen to that content right away (or "on-demand"). Since only Pandora Premium subscribers can listen on-demand, you will either see an ad for Pandora Premium, or be prompted to watch a video ad to unlock a complimentary session of Pandora Premium.

Keep in mind that upgrading to Pandora Premium or accepting a complimentary session of Pandora Premium is completely optional; you can close the ad and we'll create a station for you to listen to instead (if one is available).

Should you decide to accept a complimentary session of Pandora Premium, rest assured that you won't be billed; because the additional cost of these sessions is covered by the advertisement, your account will return to your regular service automatically when the session expires, and you won't be charged any Pandora Premium fees.

Hope this helps explain. Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎶

0 Kudos

Jacksmith
Local Performer

Why do I have to watch videos to play why I want when I paid for a subscription?

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jacksmith Our support team has verified that you are currently subscribed to Pandora Plus, not Pandora Premium.

I hope this helps to explain. Thanks for being a part of the community! 🎧

0 Kudos

jmonti75
Local Performer

I just upgraded and when I try to search and play for a song or artist I'm immediately told that I can only hear that song or album if I listen to an ad...**Ahem**? The subscription specifically states that the plan is ad free and includes search and play but now Pandora is saying that is only with the Premium plan. Terrible bait and switch. Very angry.

mod edit: format & changed title for clarity

TannerPandora

Hi @jmonti75 Sorry for any confusion over your subscription level.

It looks like you're subscribed to Pandora Plus, not Pandora Premium.

Hope this helps to explain. Thanks for posting to community. 

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

anmchick
Local Performer

I used to be able to go a whole class period (45 minutes) before an ad would pop up before I started paying anything for Pandora... Please advise on how to actually get any benefit for paying.

Moderator Edit: Format

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@anmchick Our support team has confirmed that you enabled multiple sessions of Pandora Premium on your account by interacting with an ad.

@TannerPandora provided some helpful information in his post above on why that is happening.

Hope we continue to see you around the community! 🎶

0 Kudos

Ronnie1991
Local Performer

I am still seeing ads after I've signed up for the pandora plus

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Ronnie1991 I moved your post to this thread since you are running into a similar issue.

Take a look at the message @TannerPandora above for more information on why you may be hearing commericals on your Pandora Plus account. 

0 Kudos

ttm2soon
Local Performer

I have a subscription of $4.99 per month but I still get commercials playing. Why?

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarity

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey, @ttm2soon!

Thanks so much for posting on the community. 

Sorry for any confusion regarding the avertisements playing on your account.

I checked in with our User Support team regarding your account, and you are upgraded to Pandora Plus. However, it looks like you enabled a complimentary session of Pandora Premium recently, which explains why you're seeing / hearing an ad. 

++

Complimentary Sessions of Premium:

• Please keep in mind, if you search for and select the name of an artist, or track, or album, you should be brought to a "backstage page" where you can either create a radio station or press play.
  • If you press play you indicate that you'd like to listen to that content right away (or "on-demand"). Since only Pandora Premium subscribers can listen on-demand, you will either see an ad for Pandora Premium, or be prompted to watch a video ad to unlock a complimentary session of Pandora Premium.
  • Keep in mind that upgrading to Pandora Premium or accepting a complimentary session of Pandora Premium is completely optional; you can close the ad and we'll create a station for you to listen to instead (if one is available).
  • You won't be charge for the session as the additional cost of these sessions are covered by the advertisement, your account will return to your regular service automatically when the session expires, and you won't be charged any Pandora Premium fees.

You can find out more about how complimentary sessions of Premium work in this helpful article.

Hope this helps to explain! 🎶

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

brucekienke
Local Performer

Need phone number for customer service. Im paying for ad free account and am receiving ads.

mod edit: changing title for clarity

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

HI @brucekienke thanks for posting to community! We don't offer phone support but I'm happy to help here in community.  

Can you tell me a little bit more of the ads you are hearing/seeing?

• Are they for a brand or an artist?
  • Do you hear them when you listen to podcast?

Thanks!

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

87djjwensyyta
Local Performer

I too am confused and upset about this. I just upgraded to Plus because the plus upgrade says "Search and play anything." I search for something and click play and it tells me to watch an ad to upgrade my session... I did upgrade!!! I think we call that a bait and switch, which if I'm not mistaken is illegal!

Search and play anything???Search and play anything???Bull Crap.png

MaryAnn
Local Performer

I have a subscription that I pay for every month and when I play my music and search for new music i always have to watch a video to open a trial subscription. Why is this happening?

mod edit: changing title for clarity

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @MaryAnn Sorry for any confusion over this. Sounds like you're triggering a complimentary session of Pandora Premium in order to listen to on-demand content, which is why you're seeing ads.

We've updated your experience so that you have the ability to listen to content on-demand, without being a Pandora Premium subscriber.

If you search for and select the name of an artist, or track, or album, you should be brought to a "backstage page" where you can either create a radio station or press play.

Thanks for posting to community! 🎧

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos