cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iOS: Pandora Mutes Apple Maps Directions

BigScaryQueer
Underground

Whenever I have the Pandora app open my Apple Maps directions go from spoken audio to dings. I have my map set to normal voice audio. I have tried all different volume options, checked the general settings on both apps, and confirmed that Apple Maps is giving spoken audio directions whenever Pandora is closed. Is there a way to fix this? I can’t really listen to Pandora if I need to hear my directions! 

mod edit: changed title for clarity

Labels (2)
35 Replies

Mare22
Local Performer

Has this been resolved yet? This issue is so frustrating. 

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there, @Mare22. 👋

Sorry for any frustration this has caused.

Have you tried adjusting your audio settings for the Maps app on your iOS device?

I would recommend checking your settings first.

• You can use these steps.
  • Go to Settings > Maps > Navigation & Guidance - from here you can adjust your navigation voice volume.

Let me know how it goes. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos

shastanair
Local Performer

This issue still persisting for me and it’s September 2021. Are y’all’s engineers going to fix it?

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @shastanair. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble.

First, I would recommend checking out my post about this here. 

If the issue still persists, please provide the request information to share with our engineering team on your behalf. 

Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
0 Kudos

B-Mobile
Underground

Hello forum I'm having the same issues wanted to request assistance. I've deleted and reinstalled the app ios settings are a little different there isn't a navigation & guidance section but within spoken directions I enabled "directions on radio" but that didn't help to resolve the issue please advise 

IPhone: iPhone 12 Pro Max

Carrier: T-Mobile

iOS Version: 15.1 (beta)

Pandora Version: 2108.1.1

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @B-Mobile. 👋

Thanks for posting about your experience on the newer iOS 15.1 beta. Based on your message, it sounds like your clicking on Settings > Maps > Spoken Directions > "Direction on Radio" (toggled on). 

Are you using CarPlay when this happens? How are you connected in your vehicle?

*Use your mobile device only when conditions allow and as permitted by applicable law.

0 Kudos

B-Mobile
Underground

Hello Alyssa,

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm using CarPlay via a Belkin Lightning Audio Cable when this is happening. I found the "directions on radio" area after reviewing this forum, and looking for the correct setting. Another tidbit, in Apple Maps if I disable audio, and re-enable it: it will give me voice navigation for 1 instance (to tell me of the upcoming step to take) but will go back to no voice nav immediately after 

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @B-Mobile

One more thing to check on is actually a setting on Maps when you've started the driving directions. You'll want to enter your directions, and then tap Go. 

When Maps begins dictating directions, you'll see a speaker icon on the right side. When you tap it, a drop down menu will appear that gives you three additional options.

Maps 1.jpg

You should see a speaker, a speaker with a caution icon, and a speaker with a line through it. You'll want to make sure that the first options is highlighted with the light grey. This should give verbal directions normally. The second icon, with the caution icon, gives limited verbal directions and the last option, has no verbal directions.

Map 2.jpg

Let me know if that helps. If not, we can pass on your experience to our engineering team to look into. Keep in mind that betas often offer new experience that may not be fully supported yet. 

Thanks!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

B-Mobile
Underground

Hey Tanner, 

Thanks for the info, yes the speaker icon is where I found I can disable/re-enable audio to get voice navigation for only the upcoming step but will stop again afterwards

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for providing those additional details, @B-Mobile.

We've shared this feedback with the appropriate party on your behalf. 🎧

0 Kudos

reginaldkson
Underground

I tried again the other day.  Still not resolved.

0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @reginaldkson. 👋

Could you try out the following?

Click on Settings > Maps > Spoken Directions > "Direction on Radio" (toggled on). 

Are you using CarPlay when this happens? How are you connected in your vehicle?

Also, I would recommend checking out @TannerPandora's post here if you're updated to iOS 15 or later. 

0 Kudos

Jesterp18
Local Performer

I’m having this exact same problem one instance of direction followed by beeps while using Pandora. Connected via Bluetooth to a 2017 jeep grand Cherokee. It worked fine until several months ago. I’ve been through all of the settings recommended in the string and the installation with no help. Failure coincided either with an update to maps or pandora. Toggling the speaker options in maps will trigger one voice instruction, then it reverts back to beeps. Voice instructions are successful when audio source is switched to radio, sourced from the Navi. 
I think the issue is with apple maps. The previous options under the speaker icon were more robust, with volume levels. 

0 Kudos

Local Performer

I beg to differ.  This is an issue with the Pandora app.  If you use Apple Maps with Apple Music, everything works as expected; the Maps voice announces directions atop the reduced volume of the music; afterwards, the original volume of the music is restored.  This behavior continues for all subsequent direction announcements without any user actions required.  However, as has already been exhaustively explained, the mute button option must first be selected in Maps for the volume of the music in Pandora to be restored.  Afterwards, the spoken audio button option is again selected in Maps but the very next voice instruction breaks everything and causes the issue herein to resume.

0 Kudos

Yllehs
Local Performer

Mine was doing the same. The way I fixed it was by turning off “hey pandora” in my pandora settings. Go to settings> Voice assistant > turn off Listen for “hey pandora”

hope this helps! 

reginaldkson
Underground

Thank you.  I'll give that a whirl.  

0 Kudos