cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Home: Google voice command issues

Randyrhombus
Local Performer

I am having similar issues with casting to my google home.

Using voice commands my google home does not want to play some of my stations such as my Rock station
I have tried directly casting to the device from the pandora app on my phone but it will end the casting session and wont play

Only work around I have found is to ask google to play an artist stastion that I have not added to my Radio list
For example "Hey Google Play Red Hot Chillie Peppers on Pandora" works but "Hey Google Play my Rock Station on Pandora" doees not.

Moderator Edit: Edited title for clarity

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
47 Replies

htargovnik
Underground

No good. Does not solve the problem.  Pandora music does not play!  Spotify does!

0 Kudos

Hunter
Local Performer

I am having issues with my Google mini, I say Hey Google play Craig Morgan on Pandora....Its say, "Ok here is a station called Craig morgan on Pandora"  Then......Nothing!!! Any idea why? It does this on other stations also...

0 Kudos

GKellyBarnes
Local Performer

Hi TannerPandora,

All of a sudden like I couldn't open Pandora by asking my Google home mini " Hey Google open Pandora". I've been listening to Pandora off and on for weeks now the my Google Home mini and now all of a sudden it's only opening Spotify. I've unliked and linked as seems to be a remedy but still yet having the same issue as everyone else in this post. Could the problem be that I don't have location turned on or something?

Thanks

G

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hey @GKellyBarnes! Thanks for posting. 

Just wanted to clarify the voice command you're using to start Pandora is: "Hey Google, open Pandora." Which previously would open Pandora without issue but now is opening Spotify instead? 

Could you try asking Google to play a specific station on your account, for example: "Hey Google, play Lana Del Ray Radio on Pandora."

In the meantime, I've enabled a trace on your account to help us out. Let me know if Google still didn't understand what you said or it opened another app. 

Feel free to check out this page for more information about voice controls while listening to Pandora on Google Home devices.

Thanks!

Tanner | Community Moderator

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

GKellyBarnes
Local Performer

Hey TannerPandora,

Thanks for getting back with me so soon. This! This actually works. Thanks for getting back with me and sorry for not replying back sooner. I appreciate your help:)

TannerPandora

Glad to hear it helped @GKellyBarnes! 🙂🎉

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

rockworm
Underground

I've seen other posts about this else where that say that if I say:

"Hey Google, play my regular station <stationname> that it will work.  It does not.

I have a station called Dream Weaver, but anything I can think to say to the google nest mini ends up responding with "Ok, playing your Dream Weaver playlist thumbs up"...

Is there a way to get it to play one of my stations?

0 Kudos

rockworm
Underground

So am I to understand the accepted solution is to send feedback?

cazcat
Underground

Somehow, a rap station got added to my phone app only (Android) but it doesn't show up on the web. I've searched all the online help I possibly can, and no fixes found. It keeps giving advice to swipe left or thumbs down, but neither of those are options on the app. It does not show up in my playlist. In the morning when I tell Google to play The XX Radio station on Pandora, often it plays this elicit rap music. No good for the office! Please help me fix this issue. I've uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times and it has no apparent fix. The rap songs are not in any playlist on my app or desktop, so I cannot delete them. Swiping does nothing. The three dots menu doesn't pull up any options either that help. I like Pandora but this is getting ridiculous. All I can do is play the songs. No way to delete the songs or the station or playlist from my account. Help! I am testing other services that don't have these issues and will change if I cannot get it fixed. First screen shot is when I go to the "playlist" (but as I stated, it's not in my collection of playlists), and second one is when I press the 3 dots menu. No useful options.

Screenshot_20210110-095322_Pandora.jpg

Screenshot_20210110-095329_Pandora.jpg

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cazcat Nice to see you around the Community.

Based off of the screenshots you sent over, it doesn't look like that playlist is currently collected.

Does that playlist appear in your collection when you sort it by Playlists?

If so, can you please send over an additional screenshot of that as well?

Thanks for working with me on this. 🤝

0 Kudos

cazcat
Underground

I appears to only show on "recently played" but not actually on any playlists.

Screenshot_20210110-101120_Pandora.jpg

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up, @cazcat.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to clear your Recently Played history.

I do see you've already posted on this feature request: Clear Recently Played / Search History

This being said, no further action is needed as that playlist isn't actually a part of your collection. As you continue to listen to other music, that playlist will eventually get pushed down the list, and won't show on the screen.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos

cazcat
Underground

That's very frustrating, as I never asked to play it, Pandora did! And it does it every morning, so I don't see any way this issue will ever get resolved. 

0 Kudos

AdamPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cazcat To clarify, when you tell Google Home to play The XX Radio station, does it instead play that Rap playlist that you sent a screenshot of?

Let me know.

0 Kudos

DaveAtlanta
Underground

I just tried contacting Google Home about similar issues and they said talk to Pandora.  There are MAJOR compatibility issues between Google Home and Pandora - and no one seems to want to deal with them.

The crux of the problem is that Google Home and Pandora app (on phone) seem to operate from different brains - even tho both are logged in to our Pandora account.  If you say "Hey Google, play pandora" - and then you open the Pandora app on your phone moments later - you will find they are playing completely different songs (the phone will just play out of its speaker).  They don't sync.  

Its so annoying that ive terminated my Plus account and switched to the other music app that has a seamless integration.  Hope they fix this because I prefer Pandora.

kawanek
Underground

I am with you on that one.  I have a google home audio and would like to cast without using my voice since I have a huge collection and can't always remember what is there.  Since I enjoy classical music, I would like to listen to an entire album and not always a station.

I never had a cast icon on Pandora.  Wish they had it

I have an iPhone 11 and there is no cast icon in the app

0 Kudos

TannerPandora

Hi @kawanek! Thank you for posting to community. 

You should have the ability to cast from your iPhone. The cast option should be at the bottom left of the Now Playing screen. 

iOS - Casting - Now Playing .jpg

If you don't see this, can you please show me a screenshot of what you're seeing and the Pandora version you're on. (Pandora > Profile tab > Settings gear & scroll to the bottom of the screen)

> Follow us on Twitter
@PandoraSupport

0 Kudos

jhn
Local Performer

I just upgraded to Pandora Premium a day or two ago. I wanted the ability to play a specific song or a whole album. Sadly, on Google Assistant it wont play either. It will play a station that I have but not a specific song or an album. I have tried both commands to no avail:

- Play an album, playlist or specific track (if you have Premium): "Hey Google, play "Truth Hurts."

To be clear, yes, I have Pandora Premium and it is the only Linked Music provider in Google home. And it says "Pandora account active."

Not that it matters but I have an iPhone 11 and Google home on it to configure.

0 Kudos

GeraldPandora
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus
Pandora Moderator - Emeritus

Hi @jhn 👋

Thanks for taking the time to report this by providing the steps you took and your device details.

I moved your post onto an existing thread under Google Home - Voice command issues.

Please check out Adam's accepted solution to any voice command issues with Google Home.

In addition, let's try some troubleshooting steps on your Google Home device to see if this will help:

1. Check to see if there are any updates available for your Google Home and Pandora apps. Update if needed.
  2. Restart your Google Home device by unplugging the power source and plugging it back in.
  3. Try unlinking and relinking your Pandora account via the Google Home app.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes! 🎧

Gerald | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

AlyssaPandora
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, @jhn. 👋

Thanks so much for reporting your experience with this and sorry to hear you've been having trouble using voice commands with Pandora.

You mentioned that you have Pandora linked to your Google Home. I'd like to confirm that you have Pandora set as your default music provider.

1. First, make sure that your mobile device is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Google Home.
  2. Open the Google Home app.
  3. Tap Home, then Settings.
  4. Under Google Assistant services, tap Music.
  5. Select Pandora to set as your default music provider.

++

Could you provide an exact example of a voice command for an album / song you're attempting to use when this happens?

Let me know. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Manager
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Share yours here: Q: What's your favorite anthem by a female artist that inspires you?
Check out this month's newsletter: The Listener Lounge: March 2024
0 Kudos