cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Assistant routines, alarm clock sound

gordol
Local Performer

I'm trying to setup automation with Pandora. I want to use it in a Google Assistant routine to play a station at bedtime for a period of time, and then as the alarm clock sound. This is not working, and I get different failures each time I try. The problem does not appear to be Google Assistant.

Samsung Galaxy S20+, recently updated to OS11. Current version of Pandora autoupdated from the Play Store.

The Assistant will open Pandora, sometimes it opens in the background, sometimes in the foreground. It always fails to play the station. Assistant is set to call for the "Today's Adult Hits Radio", and is also the last station played so either way, it should start.  Sometimes, Pandora fails to load anything at all, sometimes it stops on a "continue to Pandora" ad when it opens, which requires manual interaction to continue.

I'm also trying to use Pandora as the sound from the Google Clock alarm clock, same music station. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it fails to load and the alarm clock fails back to a beep instead.

I've done the local troubleshooting. I've removed Pandora from the battery optimized apps. It's installed on the internal storage. I've cleared its cache. I've also run the app cleanup/repair thing, both automatically as part of the OS update, and prior to that manually via the boot menu.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

AlyssaPandora

Hi, @gordol. 👋

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this. As you may already know, the alarm clock is no longer available in the Pandora app but you can still use Pandora music as your alarm from Google's Clock app.

To use Pandora as your alarm in Google's Clock app:

1. Make sure you have the latest version of the Clock app from Google and Pandora app installed.
  2. Open the Clock app on your Android device.  
  3. Tap on the Alarm tab.
  4. Select the plus (+) symbol to create an alarm.
  5. Select the bell symbol and then choose Pandora.
  6. Select one of your recently played stations, search for your favorite station using the search icon, or check out our recommendations for early morning jams in the For You section. (Premium subscribers can also search and select specific tracks, albums, or playlists.
  7. Tap the item to preview your alarm.
  8. Tap the return icon to go back to the alarm tab.
  9. Set the time, mode, and other settings. 

When the alarm goes off, your music will begin to play with album art displayed in the background. At this point, you can choose to snooze or turn off the alarm. If you want to keep listening, simply tap the “Continue Playing” button.

When you're ready to go to sleep:

1. Make sure that you have a good cellular or Wi-Fi connection.
  2. (Recommended) Make sure your device is plugged into a power source.

++

If you continue to have trouble with this, can you send over a bit more info about your device?

• Model: Samsung Galaxy S20+
  • Carrier:
  • Android version (Settings > About Phone): Android OS 11
  • Build number (Settings > About Phone):
  • Android Security Patch Level, if noted on your device (Settings > About Phone):
  • Pandora version: (Go to Profile, then select Settings. Scroll to the bottom of the screen for the exact version number):
  • Are you connected to Wi-Fi or cellular data when this is happening?
  • Do you experience any error messages? 

Thanks for your help with this. 🎧

Alyssa | Community Moderator
Let's talk music in Community Chat
Follow us on Twitter @ PandoraSupport
0 Kudos

gordol
Local Performer

"Unfortunately while all answers are replies, not all replies are answers." (Ta'Lon, B5 "Point Of No Return")

You have completely failed to answer the questions.  I did not ask how do I do this. I asked why it is not working, and provided the exact symptom I get, the trouble shooting I've done, and the model phone and it's OS version. There is only one patch level to this OS version at this time. The carrier is irrelevant to the issue.

The problem is not one of data, it's the program does not work without manual intervention when it is opened because of a blocking banner ad.  In case the implied fact wasn't clear, this is the free version of Pandora. If this is by design, then just say so.

0 Kudos